Real - universe systems

Haji
Hearty Supporter

Real - universe systems

Postby Haji » Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:02 pm

Will the game include other real-life systems other than Sol? While we certainly don't know that many, we do have a few. Kuiper-11 with it's six gas giants, Gliese 581 with it's two planets in the liquid water zone, and there are probably few more known systems with 4-6 planets. For the full list, please see:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_planetary_systems

Thangulhad
Ideas & Texts Creator

Re: Real - universe systems

Postby Thangulhad » Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:00 am

Well it might be hard to create a playable galaxy from our real one. But maybe in some sort of "campaign mode" this might be possible.
-Thangulhad

Haji
Hearty Supporter

Postby Haji » Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:18 am

I wasn't really thinking about trying to create a whole map from the known star systems. I was thinking more about seeding the few known systems into a randomly generated map.

Calavero
Site Admin

Postby Calavero » Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:19 pm

I think there will be some of them in our game. But.. for now.. there is over 1800 backers.. so we will have over 1800 star system names :) And... those people can choose for example "Wolf 359" name ;)
M.O.R.E. under construction

Haji
Hearty Supporter

Postby Haji » Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:34 pm

I wasn't really thinking about the names of the systems. I have seen in one of the screenshots that you had a star named Gliese. I was thinking about inclusion of the planets. Ie. Gliese 581 have six known planets, with rather nicely determined masses, which gives us a guess to their sizes and composition. We also know their orbital distances. It would be nice - I think - to colonise real, existing planets outside the solar system.

Calavero
Site Admin

Postby Calavero » Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:21 pm

Haji wrote:I wasn't really thinking about the names of the systems. I have seen in one of the screenshots that you had a star named Gliese. I was thinking about inclusion of the planets. Ie. Gliese 581 have six known planets, with rather nicely determined masses, which gives us a guess to their sizes and composition. We also know their orbital distances. It would be nice - I think - to colonise real, existing planets outside the solar system.

I think it will be possible some day to create predefined Galaxy....
M.O.R.E. under construction

Katana
Hearty Supporter

Postby Katana » Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:14 pm

There's a game out there (can't remember what its called) on Kickstarter that's using real astronomical data from the Milky Way to create it's universe.

knightdt
Ideas & Texts Creator

Postby knightdt » Fri Nov 02, 2012 5:32 am

Katana wrote:There's a game out there (can't remember what its called) on Kickstarter that's using real astronomical data from the Milky Way to create it's universe.

"Using our unique system, we are able to create thousands of stars and planets. All stars are as in the real world."

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/dod ... g?ref=live

As of this post, 21 days to go and not very far along toward funding... full disclosure, I'm not backing it at this time.

Return to “Galaxies, Planets & Moons”