What about starbases?

-Q-

What about starbases?

Postby -Q- » Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:50 am

Hey guys,

I am really getting some good vibes from your project I admire your dedication!
Anyways since you guys are thinking about adding a lot of stuff I'd like to get your input on Star bases (will they be in the game? / what will be their implementation)

I'll explain where my question comes from:
My favorite 4X game is Galactic Civilisations 2 (star dock) in which they use these star bases as spheres of bonuses.
They work with a sphere of influence in which they give (economic/military/influence or culture) bonuses as well as boosting range for starships and fleets.

I love this implementation as it adds a lot of depth to the playing field which would otherwise be very empty

Building on this implementation I think there would be a lot of stuff that would add tactical depth (to an already very promising game)

My suggestions:

-A star base which mines a gas giant or other stellar objects would be awesome (giving appropriate bonuses) !!

-A communications array/ research station which improves communication between systems for when there is interference caused by a nebula ( which doubles as a research base which investigates stellar event ==> bonus Research points / unlock tech communication in nebulae / unlock tech better shields in nebulae )

-A cultural / Influence star base would function as a place where the different races can send add-on modules with constructor ships to give each other influence bonuses / increase trade likelihood between those races (marketing of alien goods will stimulate appearance of trading vessels / routes)

-In later stages of the game a jump-gate (as a star base) which connects to another points (access could be shared with allies) ... these could be destructible objects :) making for even more craziness craziness in gameplay. (making access to jump-gates a negotiable item when discussing treaties)

-A star base could increase attraction of mercenaries / leaders...

There are tons of other options I am pretty sure which would make this game my 4X wet dream.

Thanks for taking the time to read... And keep up the good work !

Calavero
Site Admin

Re: What about starbases?

Postby Calavero » Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:45 pm

Hello

We will have starbases in M.O.R.E.and we have some nice ideas how to use them :)
M.O.R.E. under construction

-Q-

Postby -Q- » Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:37 pm

Can you give a couple examples ? Realy curious that is all :)

Calavero
Site Admin

Postby Calavero » Sat Oct 27, 2012 9:59 pm

I think you will like it :)
Right now we don't want to talk to much.. just prefer to work :)

ghmd
Hearty Supporter

Postby ghmd » Sun Oct 28, 2012 5:43 pm

Calavero wrote:I think you will like it :)
Right now we don't want to talk to much.. just prefer to work :)

Since M.O.R.E. is - in my opinion - all about getting a worthy MoO II successor: can you at least tell us if it will be a BIT like in MoO II?
"Look, it's the Antarans!" - "No, just my computer freezing."

MetalKid
Ideas & Texts Creator

Postby MetalKid » Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:45 pm

Since there won't be any star lanes, I assume ship range will be in a sphere. If that is the case, I would expect star bases to be able to be built wherever you want, even in open space, in order to increase your ships range. If not, that would be unfortunate. That would be similar to the Gal Civ 2 approach. However, it would be better if you could build trade hubs, research statements, or even food producing star bases that can help boost a specific planet's numbers. Actually, it would be nice if you could construct a starbase and then build modules off of it like defense, trade, research, food, fuel, and ship repair, to name a few.

Calavero
Site Admin

Postby Calavero » Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:57 am

We will be doing something like MetalKid said.

Chrysostom

Postby Chrysostom » Fri May 17, 2013 11:56 pm

I think star bases are critical if we do not have star lanes. The bases should have some technology that allows a nation to force other ships out of warp/hyperdrive and be able to use the starbase as a defense point for its empire.

VenomStorm
Ideas & Texts Creator

Postby VenomStorm » Mon May 20, 2013 3:59 am

Chrysostom wrote:I think star bases are critical if we do not have star lanes. The bases should have some technology that allows a nation to force other ships out of warp/hyperdrive and be able to use the starbase as a defense point for its empire.

Ooh interdiction technology on starbases.... That's a very good idea. Interdiction tech is a must for the tech tree. Also, your idea would also have to allow us to build starbases in the middle of space, away from planets. Unless you made the interdiction tech so powerful that you could rip ships out of hyperspace if they came within a few parsecs of you. That would allow you to create a defensive "wall" of sorts that an enemy cold not simply skip to get to your soft, unprotected worlds.

Teleros
Ideas & Texts Creator

Postby Teleros » Mon May 20, 2013 11:42 am

VenomStorm wrote:That would allow you to create a defensive "wall" of sorts that an enemy cold not simply skip to get to your soft, unprotected worlds.

I've got something like this in my own little pet sci-fi setting. "Hyperwall" generators let you generate parsecs-wide bubbles that ships cannot use FTL properly inside. However, navy-grade hyperdrives can often get ships into hyperspace long enough (think microseconds) to "coast" briefly, enabling them to traverse such areas, albeit considerably slower than normal (FTL speeds are on the order of 3.5 million times lightspeed, FWIW). Any defender thus has plenty of time to amass a fleet on the other side of the hyperwall zone. More though, hyperwall generators can be turned on and off: it's even possible (though expensive) to create very thick hyperwall zones with shifting safe routes within them: ships that know the safe routes and when they change (and where they change too!) can navigate safely - invaders inevitably get caught out.

Not saying that MORE needs to copy the above, but it would be nice to see that sort of tech used. Like the Warp Interdictors (or w/e they were called in MoO2), they wouldn't stop travel, just dramatically slow it: unless you can get your own forces ready, that invasion will still happen after all.
Clear ether!

Return to “Galaxies, Planets & Moons”