Planet management

ghmd
Hearty Supporter

Planet management

Postby ghmd » Mon Oct 29, 2012 7:10 am

Hi people,

what I didn't get until know: is it correct that it will be like in MoO II, so that I build single buildings on a planet's surface and that each building built will be visible? (so that I can see what I have built)

Is it also correct that I can zoom in and out freely? (from galaxy map view to star system view to planet view to surface view)
"Look, it's the Antarans!" - "No, just my computer freezing."

Calavero
Site Admin

Re: Planet management

Postby Calavero » Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:54 am

We think you will see every building on planet.
But you won't be able to zoom from galaxy view to starsystem freely. And you won't be able to freely zoom to planet surface. It will be 3 separate levels.
M.O.R.E. under construction

Tel
Ideas & Texts Creator

Postby Tel » Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:09 pm

nice, the "old school" way, I like it.

j4ck3r

Postby j4ck3r » Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:40 am

As you're planning to make every building visible on the planet here's an expansion on the idea.

As I suggested here you could divide planets up into hexes and place buildings depending on the planets surface,continents, habitable zones, size etc.
http://www.morethegame.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=212&p=2476#p2476

You could have these placed automatically or maybe even create hex location templates combined with a building queue to ease management once you have an empire with many planets.
I know that's a far shot, but I'm just dreaming :)

Martok
Hearty Supporter

Postby Martok » Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:20 am

Calavero wrote:We think you will see every building on planet.
But you won't be able to zoom from galaxy view to starsystem freely. And you won't be able to freely zoom to planet surface. It will be 3 separate levels.

Why?

Almost every 4x game released in the last five years has had some sort of dynamic zoom function. Surely the same can be done for this one. :?:

Tel
Ideas & Texts Creator

Postby Tel » Sat Dec 08, 2012 2:00 pm

why not?
MoO2 had one of the most intuitive interfaces ever for a 4x,
- you could find, see and control anything with a few clicks
- you didn't have to fight with the keyboard and the mouse wheel to find your way around the map

If they can make it so the player is thinking what to do and not HOW to do it would be an achievement.

knightdt
Ideas & Texts Creator

Postby knightdt » Sat Dec 08, 2012 7:14 pm

Martok wrote:
Calavero wrote:We think you will see every building on planet.

Why?

Almost every 4x game released in the last five years has had some sort of dynamic zoom function. Surely the same can be done for this one. :?:

Dynamic zoom requires that all levels of management be programmed in the same code module and rules be set for rendering and transition. Keeping the management levels separate may allow simultaneous programming work to be done on each. I bet these could prove to be quite buggy (having a menu open when zooming...) and I guarantee that the feature would require extensive programming hours.

And all this time and difficulty results in what? Something that is slightly more pretty perhaps, but potentially more of a headache for the player (if zooming in too far eliminates menu options, causing confusion - or if it causes bugs). The cost/benefit just isn't there. It adds nothing to the actual game-play.

Martok
Hearty Supporter

Postby Martok » Sat Dec 08, 2012 9:21 pm

knightdt wrote:And all this time and difficulty results in what? Something that is slightly more pretty perhaps, but potentially more of a headache for the player (if zooming in too far eliminates menu options, causing confusion - or if it causes bugs). The cost/benefit just isn't there. It adds nothing to the actual game-play.

You're kidding, right?

A zoom function isn't about it being "pretty". (Gods knows I'm easy to please when it comes to game visuals, and I'm fairly certain that's the case for a lot of other 4x gamers as well!) Rather, it's about ease of use and making the game friendly to players new to the genre.

I've heard so many folks rave about dynamic zoom in strategy games, and how much easier it is to navigate around the map. On the flip side, a lot of them now bitch when a strategy title lacks zoom. (You can probably thank Stardock and Paradox for that.) Having a zoom function is almost a requirement these days for grand strategy games, including 4x titles.

I'm not saying such a feature is critical to games in this genre, because I don't think it is. But lots of people who enjoy this genre have come to expect it, and that should be taken into account. Perhaps including dynamic zoom in MORE wouldn't be worth the resources it would require (including & especially man-hours) versus how many more customers it would bring in -- I truly wouldn't know either way -- but it might be. And in any case, I do know that lack of a zoom function in MORE will, for many players, count as a strike against the game.

May Player
Ideas & Texts Creator

Postby May Player » Sat Dec 08, 2012 9:45 pm

What's all the fuss about zooming? The devs showed in on of the updates there is going to be zooming in and out on galaxy level and in the battles. What more is needed? I really don't think it will be a deal breaker either way. If anyone will keep complaining about this, they do not likely like 4x turn-based games anyway. Yes, it would be nice to do all the little nice things, but be realistic - a good strategy game can live without it. The game budget is so small so let the devs do the essentials first. The ones that are important. Even huge games lack zooming even though it would be great to have it (for example Diablo 3 which spent $100,000,000+ to develop the game)

It's like this - when you buy a car for $50 don't expect it to fly to the Moon. It's designed for driving and hope it does it well ;)

Return to “Galaxies, Planets & Moons”