Galaxy types

Semmelbaecker

Galaxy types

Postby Semmelbaecker » Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:35 pm

Hi there..

Have you already thought about the galaxy types you want to use for M.O.R.E. ?

Ill start a list (mainly motivated by wikipedia on galaxies)
- Spiral like the milky way, Andromeda (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Hubbl ... _photo.png)
- Elliptic see again http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Hubbl ... _photo.png
- Ring (Background: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHDUAM1jlhM )
- Mergers (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pR4pzthwqkA at 30 seconds.. take a pik)
- Dwarf Galaxies around a large galaxy like the Magellan clouds around the milky way
- Galaxy with active black hole (radiation anywhere near the centre is deadly.. so only radiated planets there), large accretion disk in the centre, no space travel there.
- Open Star Cluster (something like a small galaxy core): no planetary systems.. many stars and rouge planets (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rogue_planet ) scattered around them. Thus they might not only be ice worlds, but mostly.
- Peculiar galaxies: Random shape, lots of nebula

Cheers,
Semmel

May Player
Ideas & Texts Creator

Re: Galaxy types

Postby May Player » Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:10 am

Galaxies look stranger that people could imagine:
http://hubblesite.org/gallery/album/galaxy/

Place 'strange' things in the 'strange' galaxies. Nobody will notice.... :D

JPTS
Ideas & Texts Creator

Postby JPTS » Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:23 am

Mergers and strange galaxies are very good ideas! :)

VenomStorm
Ideas & Texts Creator

Postby VenomStorm » Sat Dec 08, 2012 4:19 am

I like this idea too. Id also like to see a good spread of starting areas for the races. So this way the galaxy is seeded throughout. I don't like when all the races are only starting on the edge of the galaxy. I like seeing outer rim, mid rim and core species. This will make it feel more realistic and less like a melee game. (however equal starting locations are good for multiplayer)

May Player
Ideas & Texts Creator

Postby May Player » Sat Dec 08, 2012 6:48 am

Yes, the starting locations are very important. I think it should be the option to set during game setup. Sometimes we want to have room to grow before meeting other empire, other times we might want to start close by and spread out into the galaxy interacting with other empires from the beginning.

Living galaxies are great. Galaxies where things are happening. Galaxies so large, that it would take very very long time to scout them and almost never to be able to colonize all the systems.

The object of a good game is to overpower opponents one way or another. Not not populate every rock out there.
Last edited by May Player on Sat Dec 08, 2012 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

knightdt
Ideas & Texts Creator

Postby knightdt » Sat Dec 08, 2012 7:23 pm

May Player wrote:The object of a good game is to overpower opponents one way or another. Not not populate every rock out there.

Some people actually like to just go out with the objective of populating every rock out there (and some not-so-rock places too...). These players also generally like the concept of being able to win without firing a single shot. They also typically like to keep playing long after they have already 'won' so that they can literally populate everywhere. There is nothing inherently wrong with this game style, and to incorporate more player-base it should not be forgotten... they just usually aren't the type you care about in a multi-player game.

May Player
Ideas & Texts Creator

Postby May Player » Sat Dec 08, 2012 8:01 pm

Yes, there are plenty of different styles and how people like to play. I do acknowledge that. Even I play differently from game to game. I just know, that when I populate any map totally only with my own settlements, the entire map is just in my color, then, it gets to a point when it is gets really boring and requires tons of micromanagement. Nothing interesting is happening in such areas anymore.
Maybe because I like to play like in real life, when I see Canada or other countries out there, they might have huge territores but there are large areas without cities just with small settlements/mining outposts, agriculture fields and lots of space is just sitting empty. Yes, they might be under control of the same 'empire', but does not need to be populated right away (full colonies/cities).
In space I prefer to do the same; establish 'contol zones' just for my empire, where others cannot take over. Do not want to create new full colonies everywhere. Imagine the galaxy size in M.O.R.E. - 1500 star systems. Each system will have maybe on average 10 planets. It's 15,000 colonies to manage ;) I do NOT want to do that. That's why I brought the idea (in another post) of different sorts of Outposts for 'reserving' the various systems, planets, regions. Outposts would just rip the benefits (like food, research, manufacturing, military/refuel, diplomatic etc etc) and 'feed' my main empire homeworld and colonies. They would not have the expenses of a regular colony and when lost/destroyed, my empire would only suffer lost benefits from that outposts and not huge loses in human life and such.

Semmelbaecker

Postby Semmelbaecker » Sun Dec 09, 2012 3:19 pm

@May: From "The M.O.R.E. we know":
"As the empire grows there will be technologies to simplify management – this includes consolidation of colonies into Dyson Rings and Spheres (some conditions must be met in order to combine colonies in this manner, those conditions are not yet known)
Eventually, it will even be possible to consolidate multiple Dyson spheres into a single managed ‘colony’"

So, you will not need micromanagement of hundreds of colonies. :) So your concerns are valid, but already being taken care of.

May Player
Ideas & Texts Creator

Postby May Player » Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:32 am

Yes, yes, I know about the plans for Dyson spheres etc. it's all good and useful. I just see the usefulness of dedicated Outpost in my games. There is no concern about colonies etc, just to allow different play styles, dedicated outposts would be just great. Especially that thet are easy to implement, they were already in MOO2 (just useless), they will be in M.O.R.E. just add some usefulness to them on top of existing features.

Return to “Galaxies, Planets & Moons”