Dyson Sphere's

VoodooDog

Dyson Sphere's

Postby VoodooDog » Tue Dec 25, 2012 7:52 am

Will there be Dysons Sphere's?
Ofc only for the high high-end and u have to balance it (cost, advantage they provide etc).
Hell, maybe there could be one special tech (per race?) u can research within 100years (or so?) only in a dysons sphere.

Lupusam
Hearty Supporter

Re: Dyson Sphere's

Postby Lupusam » Tue Dec 25, 2012 9:59 am

Already been discussed, I believe it's part of the expansion process that will allow multiple planets to act together as one 'colony'.

Teleros
Ideas & Texts Creator

Postby Teleros » Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:29 am

Just a quick thought: I'm hoping this is more of a game management thing rather than a literal dyson sphere-building project. It'd be something of a suspension-of-disbelief breaker IMHO if powers that can build those things willy-nilly then end up squabbling over things like resources or living space :P . Given the population for a real one would be on the order of 1x10^20 humans without any problem :shock: .
Clear ether!

Tel
Ideas & Texts Creator

Postby Tel » Sun Mar 03, 2013 2:32 pm

The Roman Empire had a lot of living space, but the GLORY of conquest.... :D

Teleros
Ideas & Texts Creator

Postby Teleros » Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:11 am

Tel wrote:The Roman Empire had a lot of living space, but the GLORY of conquest.... :D

True, but in that case I'm taking a page from Stephen Baxter's books and firing neutron stars at you as missiles.

That's the problem: the scale is just so ridiculous that if you have one, you more or less have to go with the other too, because god only knows you certainly have the resources to do it...
Clear ether!

ANGLVD3TH

Postby ANGLVD3TH » Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:35 pm

I'm with Teleros, a true Dyson sphere would have the race at a tech level beyond gameplay levels. However, it needn't be a true sphere. Could be an array of satellites or a small number of rings, or even just 1 ring.

Teleros
Ideas & Texts Creator

Postby Teleros » Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:58 am

Mmm. I like the intent behind the idea (less micro), but I'm not sure I'd like to see it graphically represented as such. Ie:

"Congratulations, you've colonised all worlds in the Sol System! You may now manage them as one single colony, with the maximum number of buildings equal to the number of planets in the system (in this case, 8)."

Also, even rings would require absurdly strong materials. Look at this page & scroll down to the Dyson Sphere section:

http://www.stardestroyer.net/Empire/Science/Size.html

2/3 AU radius, estimated 2e30kg of material making up the dyson sphere (assuming it's a mere 2km thick BTW; also twice the estimated mass of the star involved). Tensile strength required of the sphere = 2.65 terapascals (around 10,000 times the tensile strength of structural steel). And of course, it can't spin to create artificial gravity like a dyson ring / ringworld could. I also leave it to you to figure out what a sphere massing twice as much as a star would do to the star WRT gravity :P ...
Clear ether!

pertm

Postby pertm » Mon Apr 28, 2014 3:26 pm

To make a Dyson sphere you would not need to mine strip a lot of planets you would have to dismantle them to get enough resources. It would be such a resource drain that if you can do it you should be able to win, I can see this as some kind of wonder that makes you win the game. If not what should people do there, they can't mine there since all planets, moons and asteroids should have been cleared away. Some people might farm but even for a huge population that would not be that many, put all that is remaining on research. That would be about a million or more times earth's surface for research for a ringworld. There should be possible to build something a lot smaller, maybe a ring around a planet even that would be huge.

Teleros
Ideas & Texts Creator

Postby Teleros » Mon Apr 28, 2014 3:47 pm

I think it's already been decided that dyson spheres are going to be a normal sight in MORE, in no small part as an attempt to minimise micromanagement in a game where you can have a couple of thousand star systems (!) - if nothing else, it helps keep turn lengths roughly the same whether you're in turn 10 or turn 1,000.

Mind you, I've said elsewhere that I'd like to see smaller mega-structures like Culture orbitals - Niven-style ringworlds are more like dyson sphere-lite structures - too big to be constructed as a new habitable colony in-game, too small to compare to the honest-to-God dyson spheres that are already planned.

Anyway, Culture orbitals:
Note how the sunlight hits a portion of the inner inhabited edge - that's because it's not totally edge-on to the star, but is in fact at a slight angle, allowing for a day/night cycle. For the mass of a single planet you could build loads of orbitals, each of which could have a population several times larger than the planet you carved up to make them. In MORE, I'd use them as a way of doing MoO2's artificial worlds: once you're high-tech enough, you can make these out of toxic planets / asteroid belts / whatever to live on.
Clear ether!

Return to “Galaxies, Planets & Moons”