Colony Defences & Shipyards

May Player
Ideas & Texts Creator

Re: Colony Defences & Shipyards

Postby May Player » Sun Sep 22, 2013 3:32 am

Teleros wrote:..the orbital station can't move, so the enemy can ignore your fortress worlds if they want, because your fleet is smaller due to the money being spent on fixed defences.

The personality of the Emperor would decide if the Empire is be more defensive with battlestations or offensive with fleets of starships. Both are fine, but nobody should not be able to keep building both without some kind of limit.
Money itself should not be the only limit. If it was only about money, then why bother about culture, politics, relations? It is not satisfying enough to only get rich and keep building ships. It's all about balance for all aspects of wining conditions.
Strategy game like Civ V Brave New World show perfectly how it is done.

Teleros
Ideas & Texts Creator

Postby Teleros » Sun Sep 22, 2013 2:17 pm

May Player wrote:Money itself should not be the only limit. If it was only about money, then why bother about culture, politics, relations?

Call money the only "hard" limit then: ie if I want to build more starships or orbital fortresses, then in principle I can, at least until I run out of money. If you're fighting a war for survival against another nation, then you probably don't really give a damn if some 3rd party groups are feeling uncomfortable, so long as you win. THEN you can worry about the diplomatic or economic consequences.

However, I agree there should also be "soft" limits: making a Giant Fleet Of Doom™ can be more or less guaranteed to give your neighbours the jitters (maybe a defensive alliance against you, or an attempt to hide under your defensive umbrella), plus necessitate additional taxes, with knock-on effects for the rest of the economy. At the end of the day, most wars won't be (well, shouldn't be :P ) fights to the death, so why would you spend every centicred on more warships etc?
Clear ether!

May Player
Ideas & Texts Creator

Postby May Player » Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:58 pm

Teleros wrote:Call money the only "hard" limit then: ie if I want to build more starships or orbital fortresses, then in principle I can, at least until I run out of money. [...] At the end of the day, most wars won't be (well, shouldn't be :P ) fights to the death, so why would you spend every centicred on more warships etc?

Totally right. But running out of money should be fairly easy. I mean - building civilization should be fairly hard and deciding spending most of the funds on military should have severe consequences (for instance no money on science buildings, population happiness etc).

Whoever played Civilization games knows that up to the most recent Civ V 'Brave New World', it was always about units and war and it was fun. Just given the alternatives to ONLY war... It's kind of appealing. Don't think it's not war there, just not only war as a choice to build an empire.

Teleros
Ideas & Texts Creator

Postby Teleros » Mon Sep 23, 2013 2:30 pm

May Player wrote:Totally right. But running out of money should be fairly easy. I mean - building civilization should be fairly hard and deciding spending most of the funds on military should have severe consequences (for instance no money on science buildings, population happiness etc).

Yeah. Mind you, there could be some interesting choices available here WRT economic policies. For example, a communist state will run out of money because it's doing everything, from the navy to the town's department stores. A laissez-faire state will run out of money because the government doesn't have any in the first place ( :mrgreen: ). On the other hand though, the communist state can decide to spam soldiers & warships in a war & use them to keep the populace in line until the war's over, whilst the laissez-faire state can obviously expand the scale of government expenditure enormously during a war, because it's so low at the start (although I bet they have more morale issues on the home front, what with taxes going up by an order of magnitude, command economy shipbuilding or w/e).

Definitely an area ripe for lots of interesting choices and flavour.
Clear ether!

Return to “Galaxies, Planets & Moons”