Star System Names

MetalKid
Ideas & Texts Creator

Star System Names

Postby MetalKid » Sun Mar 09, 2014 5:09 am

While it is cool that you got input for all these different star names to use, it would be nice if we could define the star system names in some sort of personal list for any systems we end up visiting first. I don't know if you will give us the ability to rename any star systems, but since a system is unexplored, you could let whoever explores it name the system. (Though, this should only be allowed in single player because the abuse Multiplayer would get wouldn't be worth it.)

It would be awesome if we had a static list we could fill out so that each system in whatever order would get filled in off this list. i.e. if I put in the list:

Abrasia
Britania
Concordia
Dragonia

Then these 4 names would be used by the first 4 systems that I was the first explorer.

Calavero
Site Admin

Re: Star System Names

Postby Calavero » Sun Mar 09, 2014 1:35 pm

You will be able to rename Star Systems, Planets etc. At least in Single Player.
At now we don't think about adding feature, where you can populate star systems and choose their order
M.O.R.E. under construction

VenomStorm
Ideas & Texts Creator

Postby VenomStorm » Sun Mar 23, 2014 6:01 am

That sounds perfect. I like to rename systems based on how I use them or plan on using them. Will you only be able to rename them on colonization or at any time? Will you be able to rename systems as many times as you want over the course of the game?

Calavero
Site Admin

Postby Calavero » Sun Mar 23, 2014 10:28 am

VenomStorm wrote:That sounds perfect. I like to rename systems based on how I use them or plan on using them. Will you only be able to rename them on colonization or at any time? Will you be able to rename systems as many times as you want over the course of the game?

Yes, anytime, and how many times you want.

VenomStorm
Ideas & Texts Creator

Postby VenomStorm » Sun Mar 23, 2014 4:46 pm

Awesome, thanks for the info. I imagine renaming worlds based on circumstances in the game. Arrakis --> Rakis --> Dune as the planet rises and falls in importance for example. This is a simple but really cool addition.

MetalKid
Ideas & Texts Creator

Postby MetalKid » Fri Apr 04, 2014 7:21 pm

Couldn't this be abused, a bit? At least vs Humans? If an opponent attacked a system and almost took it out then you change the names of all the systems, they may be unable to remember exactly which one they were fighting, position-wise. Seems like a dirty trick, to me. :) (AI wouldn't have that problem since they would be referring to an ID, most likely.)

knightdt
Ideas & Texts Creator

Postby knightdt » Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:58 pm

I'm pretty sure when you change a star system name --- that is only the name YOU see. Everyone else sees the default name unless they change it for themselves.

MetalKid
Ideas & Texts Creator

Postby MetalKid » Sat Apr 05, 2014 8:36 pm

knightdt wrote:I'm pretty sure when you change a star system name --- that is only the name YOU see. Everyone else sees the default name unless they change it for themselves.

Ah, I hope that is the case! :)

Calavero
Site Admin

Postby Calavero » Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:03 am

HMm.... or changing names should be visible to all people? I'm more into this option. Maybe you will be able to change name for new system if you totally takeover it.. for example after 10 turns, and when all prisioners are assimilated?

Teleros
Ideas & Texts Creator

Postby Teleros » Fri Apr 11, 2014 3:15 pm

Calavero wrote:HMm.... or changing names should be visible to all people? I'm more into this option. Maybe you will be able to change name for new system if you totally takeover it.. for example after 10 turns, and when all prisioners are assimilated?

Let players rename it immediately (and for all to see*), but perhaps the game could remember previous names? Then if/when it changes hands again, it can get an old name returned to it.

As for the people living there, nerf their morale for a year or two if the name changes perhaps. "I liked it before they renamed the place Suck-It-Up-Gnolams-Gits," complained one of our interviewees... etc :D .

*If you really want to make people more attached to colonies, have a little flag that lets them know that they used to own a place, but lost it. Otherwise you're either playing on a huge map (so individual colonies will be a minor detail) or a small map (so you'll remember which colony you lost come what may).
Clear ether!

Return to “Galaxies, Planets & Moons”