Size of Galaxy & M.O.R.E. Galaxies

May Player
Ideas & Texts Creator

Size of Galaxy & M.O.R.E. Galaxies

Postby May Player » Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:30 pm

As usual, there will be multiple sizes of galaxies to choose from. That's OK, but maybe there could be one mega-size galaxy (bigger than huge) allowing to explore for a really, really long time? All the fans of Star Trek TNG or Voyager or DS9 would agree; even when we have a large Empire or Federation, there should be always space 'where no one has gone before' or 'deep space' as in Babylon V. It would allow the developers to easily create and place future DLC or future techs, updates and more.
-One thing was always disappointing when playing MOO2; at some point the galaxy got discovered and there was nothing more to do. The game was over. What about if the Game was never over? (just an idea..)
-So "what's the point of playing"? First, to conquer all KNOWN space, to be the biggest dog in the discovered space or can fly to.
After that, there could be an 'open-ended' victory - you are the best for now, but who knows what will happen when sudden breakthrough will allow you to travel even further? I hate the scenario when I discover all the available techs and the only thing available is 'future tech 1', 'future tech 2' etc.
-Last idea - could there be at some point of the game, access to super wormhole or special tech (really expensive one) to allow travel to other or M.O.R.E. Galaxies? They could be of different age, have different resources etc?

Thangulhad
Ideas & Texts Creator

Re: Size of Galaxy & M.O.R.E. Galaxies

Postby Thangulhad » Sat Sep 15, 2012 11:43 am

How do you propse to solve for a never ending tech tree then? You don't want Future Tech, you cannot have an infinite tech tree.
-Thangulhad

Tiberius

Postby Tiberius » Sat Sep 15, 2012 4:37 pm

May Player wrote:-So "what's the point of playing"? First, to conquer all KNOWN space, to be the biggest dog in the discovered space or can fly to.
After that, there could be an 'open-ended' victory - you are the best for now, but who knows what will happen when sudden breakthrough will allow you to travel even further? I hate the scenario when I discover all the available techs and the only thing available is 'future tech 1', 'future tech 2' etc.
-Last idea - could there be at some point of the game, access to super wormhole or special tech (really expensive one) to allow travel to other or M.O.R.E. Galaxies? They could be of different age, have different resources etc?

So basically like the "Attack Antares" option from MoO2. That was pretty cool.

As far as infinite techs, maybe once you finish the tech tree, there could be few continuous categories where each future tech gives you like a 2% bonus to a certain element like speed, armor, weapon damage, or max fleet size

May Player
Ideas & Texts Creator

Postby May Player » Sat Sep 15, 2012 5:57 pm

Thangulhad wrote:How do you propse to solve for a never ending tech tree then? You don't want Future Tech, you cannot have an infinite tech tree.

In my vision, there is not really a 'never ending tech tree', but at the later game, techs that will take for example 50-100 or more turns to complete. These techs would not have anything to do with increasing economy or anything small, but grand, like traveling to another galaxy or ascension to a higher level of consciousness (like in SG Atlantis) or maybe contacting some super-duper mysterious being who lives inside a nexus of the hyperspace or on a single artificial planet/space station located in the void between galaxies.. For those, who would consider THIS point to be the winning point, fine. Then they could start a NEW game as a different species etc. For those who would want to continue and see "How big can I grow this thing", new techs would allow to enter NEW galaxies (at one point each galaxy could be treated like a 'one entity' in the grand scope of things) and expand, expand, expand ;)

In summary, techs, that would move the game forward for those who are not satisfied just being the biggest dog in own backyard..

As for your idea, Tiberius, future techs that add 2% to armor, weapons etc.. Yeah, maybe it's a good idea if there is a strong arch enemy out there, but I know, when I conquer all known space in any game, and I have booming economy and unlimited resources, any extra resources/money/stronger armor etc do not appeal to me as I have nothing to worry about or spend the extra bonuses. I want a challenge! :)

Cruxador
Hearty Supporter

Postby Cruxador » Sun Sep 16, 2012 6:08 am

Thangulhad wrote:How do you propse to solve for a never ending tech tree then? You don't want Future Tech, you cannot have an infinite tech tree.

One solution would be randomly generated future techs, with bonuses and new units or ship parts or whatever there might be generated randomly. Graphical representation might be a bit tough, as might balancing research costs properly, but if it were pulled off it would be magnificent.

May Player
Ideas & Texts Creator

Postby May Player » Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:03 am

Yes, Cruxador, randomly generated tech tree would work fine at later stage. Another fun thing would be gathering new tech ideas when traveling the galaxy and visiting planets or anomalies. These 'ideas' would not be ready techs, but something to analyze several turns and when the outlook looks good (randomly) the research could start.
Furthermore, each chosen galaxy size, would have (in addition to planets possible to colonize), 10-100 times more systems/planets to discover. Randomly in these systems on some planets could be ancient ruins, minor races, damages spaceships etc to analyze, find gold, rare resources or new tech ideas.

May Player
Ideas & Texts Creator

Postby May Player » Sat Sep 22, 2012 4:56 am

What is the maximum number of star systems in the largest galaxy map?
And for short games; what's the smallest galaxy :?:

Calavero
Site Admin

Postby Calavero » Sun Sep 23, 2012 11:08 am

May Player wrote:What is the maximum number of star systems in the largest galaxy map?
And for short games; what's the smallest galaxy :?:

We are still working on it. We were able to create even 7000 star systems but I afraid that this amount od stars won't be playable in late game.
At now our target is 1500 starsystems for a HUGE galaxy.
Smalest? It can be 20?
We will test it in alpha version of our game.
M.O.R.E. under construction

May Player
Ideas & Texts Creator

Postby May Player » Sun Sep 23, 2012 8:24 pm

Calavero, it's pretty good. Even 1500 is great.
Have you tried the 7000 systems generated, but only 1500 with planets? Not each star has to have planets...

Xartsadrak

Postby Xartsadrak » Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:54 pm

For me the "biggest" galaxy possible in MoO2 just wasn't big enough...
I always dreamed of a galaxy in MoO2 being nearly twice the number of the "biggest" one.

And in this super-big galaxy you can compete against all 11 other races and not only 7.

I hope that in M.O.R.E. the galaxy will offer enough room for every race to partake in the game! :geek:

Return to “Galaxies, Planets & Moons”