Planets/Moons types

Calavero
Site Admin

Planets/Moons types

Postby Calavero » Tue Sep 18, 2012 4:59 pm

What types of planets and moons should we include in our game?
M.O.R.E. under construction

Protagonist

Re: Planet/Moon types

Postby Protagonist » Tue Sep 18, 2012 5:04 pm

Planet Type
Gas
Rock
Ice
Asteroid/Plantlike (aka Pluto)

Atmosphere
Vacuum
Oxygen
Methane
Hydrogen
ect ...

Gravity
Low
Normal
Heavy

Just be careful of how you display planets with moons. I hate having to click on a tile of the planet then drill down to look for moons ect. The moon should be in orbit around the planet. That way you don't have to make 2 clicks to get to a moon with your colony on it.

May Player
Ideas & Texts Creator

Re: Planets/Moons types

Postby May Player » Tue Sep 18, 2012 5:36 pm

When on spacesector.com there is that online space game Astro-Gaaxy on top of the screen. They have a cool, visually attractive way of showing the planets and satellites. Just go to the 'system' on the left and you see. Really cool!

Protagonist

Postby Protagonist » Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:32 pm

I'd also put planet bonuses

mineral rich - rare resource
tech rich
population naturally happy - planet quality
ect

Cruxador
Hearty Supporter

Postby Cruxador » Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:56 pm

Well, everything that's reasonably common in real life astronomy. Rocky and gassy both, of course. Different kinds of atmosphere, different mineral compositions. Moons should be icy or rocky and could be big and round or smaller and asteroid-like. Variety is good.

Thangulhad
Ideas & Texts Creator

Postby Thangulhad » Wed Sep 19, 2012 5:39 am

Cruxador wrote:Well, everything that's reasonably common in real life astronomy. Rocky and gassy both, of course. Different kinds of atmosphere, different mineral compositions. Moons should be icy or rocky and could be big and round or smaller and asteroid-like. Variety is good.

These are all good ideas. Actual moons with an atmosphere should be pretty rare, with a super rare chance of even being close to terran.
-Thangulhad

Cruxador
Hearty Supporter

Postby Cruxador » Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:06 am

Thangulhad wrote:
Cruxador wrote:Well, everything that's reasonably common in real life astronomy. Rocky and gassy both, of course. Different kinds of atmosphere, different mineral compositions. Moons should be icy or rocky and could be big and round or smaller and asteroid-like. Variety is good.

These are all good ideas. Actual moons with an atmosphere should be pretty rare, with a super rare chance of even being close to terran.

Right, but it should be based on exerted gravity, which in turn should be based on size (and possibly density) according to the actual real-life math.

Asmodan
Hearty Supporter

Postby Asmodan » Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:40 pm

I think the colonization should be logical, i.e. a gas giant can only be colonized with a space station (or you are a species living in gas giants). So having terran moons which you can colonize with a gas giant next to it would be a nice sight.

Cruxador
Hearty Supporter

Postby Cruxador » Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:00 am

Asmodan wrote:I think the colonization should be logical, i.e. a gas giant can only be colonized with a space station (or you are a species living in gas giants). So having terran moons which you can colonize with a gas giant next to it would be a nice sight.

With appropriate technology, I don't see why anyone couldn't colonize a gas giant. Star Wars' Cloud City is a good model for this, although realistically most would float on liquid rather than in gas.
Then again, realistically, what would you want to be doing with long term settlements on a gas giant anyway? Or any non-earthlike planet?

Wodzu
Ideas & Texts Creator

Postby Wodzu » Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:35 am

Cruxador wrote:
Asmodan wrote:I think the colonization should be logical, i.e. a gas giant can only be colonized with a space station (or you are a species living in gas giants). So having terran moons which you can colonize with a gas giant next to it would be a nice sight.

With appropriate technology, I don't see why anyone couldn't colonize a gas giant. Star Wars' Cloud City is a good model for this, although realistically most would float on liquid rather than in gas.
Then again, realistically, what would you want to be doing with long term settlements on a gas giant anyway? Or any non-earthlike planet?

If I remembr correctly in MOO2 was a technology which allowed to convert a gas giant into a habtitable planet. I think it was a good idea.

Return to “Galaxies, Planets & Moons”