Planets/Moons types

Haji
Hearty Supporter

Re: Planets/Moons types

Postby Haji » Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:07 pm

My bad. When I made my first post in this topic, I had to cut number of quotes, as you can have only three. Because of that I did not manage to convey what I meant properly. Sorry for that.

Long story short, it was never my intention to dispute Goldilock's zone. I wanted to argue this statement:

Thangulhad wrote:
These are all good ideas. Actual moons with an atmosphere should be pretty rare, with a super rare chance of even being close to terran.

In a later post, you have used Sol System as an argument as to why Earth-like moons should be extremely rare. However, Sol system is only one star, and I do not believe it's sufficient to establish what is or isn't rare. In fact, there may be more Earth-like moons than there are planets, simply because moons are much more common.

GoranXII

Postby GoranXII » Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:29 am

However, Luna sized moons are going to have real trouble hanging onto an atmosphere, that's all there is to it.

MetalKid
Ideas & Texts Creator

Postby MetalKid » Fri Oct 19, 2012 2:14 pm

I'm not sure if this was previously said, but it would be cool that moons would increase certain industries of the main planet like production or research depending on the type of moon.

May Player
Ideas & Texts Creator

Postby May Player » Fri Oct 19, 2012 6:31 pm

Why not make some freakishly suprising things out there? Maybe a Moon with atmosphere holding pretty well together, some natives living on it in peace and all the visitors scratching their heads (if they have any) how is it possible? ;)

-or a star with 5 Earth-like planets on similar orbit? 'Why don't they collide'?
-or Saturn-size Earth-like planet but with low gravity? 'Why the gravity is so low; it does not make sense!'?
-or a planet on far orbit from the star, which should be frozen if not for 4 plasma-moons providing light and heat? 'How is that possible'?

Let the Aliens get surprised. Who said there is no some Ancient race out there which created such things? For crying out loud - it is a Sci-Fi game after all :lol:

Shinteo
Hearty Supporter

Postby Shinteo » Fri Nov 09, 2012 6:01 am

Planet orbiting a black hole, just outside the edge of the gravity well, giant thruster keeping it in its place. Obviously build by an advance race, but who...

Binary planets close enough to share atmosphere, somehow not crashing into each other. Why?

JPTS
Ideas & Texts Creator

Postby JPTS » Fri Nov 09, 2012 4:37 pm

- A large rich planet hidden inside a nebula that can only be detected with advanced sensors.
- You go inside the galactic black hole with a ship strong enough to survive and arrive in another galaxy
- An abandoned space yard planet that can produce ships faster

May Player
Ideas & Texts Creator

Postby May Player » Fri Nov 09, 2012 5:44 pm

That's what I'm talking about!
The galaxy does not need to be Boring or according to standards we know right now. There could be a lot of interesting things out there, hidden, ancient, anomalies, different physics, natural portals, gateways etc etc. I hope the devs are listening and going to surprise us with lots of interesting stuff in this living galaxy of ours.
:D

JPTS
Ideas & Texts Creator

Postby JPTS » Fri Nov 09, 2012 7:44 pm

May Player wrote:That's what I'm talking about!
The galaxy does not need to be Boring or according to standards we know right now. There could be a lot of interesting things out there, hidden, ancient, anomalies, different physics, natural portals, gateways etc etc. I hope the devs are listening and going to surprise us with lots of interesting stuff in this living galaxy of ours.
:D

You are right, that would make the galaxy more interesting, with special systems to discover and to fight for. :)

VenomStorm
Ideas & Texts Creator

Postby VenomStorm » Sun Nov 11, 2012 8:07 pm

I agree. There is nothing more boring than the end of most 4x games. If I am enforcing my will on the galaxy that means I have already fought the hard battles and conquered and settled the planets I need to make my unstoppable armada. Even if the remaining enemies put up a decent fight, I could care less about their planets. I don't even care about the really good ones. Sure if it was the beginning of the game and I saw that huge rich Terran world I would pore everything I had to settling it. But now it is just a hassle to restructure my enemies' infrastructure to match my own. I rarely need their planets to complete my conquest of the galaxy.

How do you fix this? I think it is a two part answer.

First, you must make conquering the galaxy hard enough and require so many resources that i do need the last worlds I conquer. I should not be able to conquer a third of the galaxy and then be able to coast to victory.

Second, you do what was mentioned above. Create a bunch of really interesting unique planets and systems to discover. Usually by mid-late game I don't even bother exploring. I already have everything I need. But if there was a chance to find an ancient star base with technology not available on the tech tree, you better believe I'm gonna hunt thru the galaxy for it.

This will make conquering the galaxy that much more fun, satisfying, and difficult.

May Player
Ideas & Texts Creator

Postby May Player » Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:23 pm

Just to follow up on the idea... to make the game still interesting after conquering third of the galaxy (as VenomStorm said), I would do what I do in Civ V G&K now. There was a huge update last week or so... (the game is balanced almost perfectly)
So how come is it so interesting?

Because I set it up with 2 major settings:
- Map is HUGE
- barbarians are raging

This is as simple as this!
-Everyone is always busy with protecting own cities and resources from barbarians or close-by civilizations
-Map is so huge so venturing far away takes long time and the units often die as there is so much danger out there
-It's not easy to interact with far away civilizations - sending an expedition to get to far away territories is very HARD as all units I am able to build are needed to protect my borders.

Read the above carefully.
I play the above for several days already and the setup is almost perfect. I am very picky about game play and this one is NOT BORING! :)

Return to “Galaxies, Planets & Moons”