Planets/Moons types

May Player
Ideas & Texts Creator

Re: Planets/Moons types

Postby May Player » Fri Sep 21, 2012 5:18 pm

That's a really interesting idea! I like it a lot. I just see one problem with it; whoever finds such a planet first will have huge advantage over other races, but maybe it can be tweaked to that extend, that this diamond resource cold be traded and everyone would be able to have diamond hulls ;)

Arctures
Hearty Supporter

Postby Arctures » Sat Sep 22, 2012 2:31 am

An idea that I first saw in Pax Imperia was to have planet types but also some continuos environmental variables like gravity/temperature/gasses. So maybe there are gas and rocky planets but then you have size, density, temperature, oxygen, hyrogen, helium, methane, carbon, H20, etc. sliders that are set to different levels. These affect how the planet looks but over time you can unlock technology to alter them. Each race could then have ranges in which they are able to colonize that also expand with time as your ability to modify biology increases or you become a multi-ethnic empire. Eventually you could build ringworlds from the materials in a system and maybe they would even be different with some more cold or methane dominate etc...

About MOO2 gas giant terraforming, I like the idea of colonizing and utilizing gas giants but one weakness of MOO2 IMHO was that every world ended up gaia terraformed with nearly the same buildings. Endless Space has a similar problem where everyone eventually posses only mild oxygen planets with jungle, ocean, or temprate ecologies and some gas giants. I would hope the M.O.R.E univers evolves into something more interesting with the spread of civilization instead of something more homogeneous and boring.

Tiberius

Postby Tiberius » Sat Sep 22, 2012 4:48 am

Arctures wrote:About MOO2 gas giant terraforming, I like the idea of colonizing and utilizing gas giants but one weakness of MOO2 IMHO was that every world ended up gaia terraformed with nearly the same buildings. Endless Space has a similar problem where everyone eventually posses only mild oxygen planets with jungle, ocean, or temprate ecologies and some gas giants. I would hope the M.O.R.E univers evolves into something more interesting with the spread of civilization instead of something more homogeneous and boring.

Hmmm, we definitely have very different opinions about what makes a game good, even among the small group of people who post in this forum.

Transforming all the planets into gaia planets was something I really enjoyed about MoO2. I always liked the sense of completion I got from knowing my system had the maximum possible population. Maybe one way M.O.R.E. could still maintain some diversity is for one race's gaia to be completely different from another race's gaia. That way as long as there are still several races in the game, you'd still have a wide variety of planets even as each race was working toward making their planets optimally suitable for themselves.

Thangulhad
Ideas & Texts Creator

Postby Thangulhad » Sat Sep 22, 2012 8:58 am

Tiberius wrote:Hmmm, we definitely have very different opinions about what makes a game good, even among the small group of people who post in this forum.

Transforming all the planets into gaia planets was something I really enjoyed about MoO2. I always liked the sense of completion I got from knowing my system had the maximum possible population. Maybe one way M.O.R.E. could still maintain some diversity is for one race's gaia to be completely different from another race's gaia. That way as long as there are still several races in the game, you'd still have a wide variety of planets even as each race was working toward making their planets optimally suitable for themselves.

I agree with you Tiberius, Gaia transforming was an epic feature. To really boost scores, I even would go so far as to destroy toxic planets in systems with other non-toxic worlds, only to convert the debris back into an artificial planet, then terraform it back up to Gaia. Doing that across a large galaxy maps added hundreds of population points.
-Thangulhad

Asmodan
Hearty Supporter

Postby Asmodan » Sat Sep 22, 2012 4:01 pm

Arctures wrote:
About MOO2 gas giant terraforming, I like the idea of colonizing and utilizing gas giants but one weakness of MOO2 IMHO was that every world ended up gaia terraformed with nearly the same buildings. Endless Space has a similar problem where everyone eventually posses only mild oxygen planets with jungle, ocean, or temprate ecologies and some gas giants. I would hope the M.O.R.E univers evolves into something more interesting with the spread of civilization instead of something more homogeneous and boring.

I agree with Arctures. In the end you always played the same way going for Gaia planets. Even if you change the races' preferences for planets you will in the end go for one optimal solution. Giving planets clear bonuses could help to stay with more diversified galaxies. So for example Gaia is best for food, lava for production, gas giant for research and so on.

But Tiberius is right: in the end it comes down to the question what kind of game you want to have. One with diversified planets in late-game or one with one optimal solution to every need. The second option would make more sense if you want to stay realistic. Being an interstellar empire travelling through galaxies it would be weird to not have found an optimal solution for planets.

Wodzu
Ideas & Texts Creator

Postby Wodzu » Sat Sep 22, 2012 4:26 pm

I always enjoyed to have all planets terraformed to gaia. However the idea that "gaia" for one race does not need to be a "gaia" for other race is good. Of course it adds another complexity to the game but it is definitely a good feature

May Player
Ideas & Texts Creator

Postby May Player » Sat Sep 22, 2012 6:09 pm

These are all good ideas, but as IdeaLcenter mentioned before, they have own ideas and this is not MOO2 ;)
As I've read their concept of combining colonies in one system into one management unit (Dyson sphere - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dyson_sphere ), so it would be irrelevant to have all Gia planets or not. It's a good idea to have Earth-like planets to convert to Gia planets for great food output, volcanic for production and so on... In the end, once Dyson Sphere tech is discovered, they will ALL be just a part of ONE unit.
Want MORE population points? So use larger galaxy map, one with MORE star systems 8-)

Calavero
Site Admin

Postby Calavero » Sun Sep 23, 2012 11:14 am

May Player wrote:As I've read their concept of combining colonies in one system into one management unit (Dyson sphere)

And maybe there can be different kinds of Dyson Spheres? Gas, Gaia, Toxic...? ;)
M.O.R.E. under construction

May Player
Ideas & Texts Creator

Postby May Player » Sun Sep 23, 2012 8:34 pm

Hmmm, I haven't thought about that! Who whould want a toxic Dyson sphere? ;)
Can you elaborate on this??

Calavero
Site Admin

Postby Calavero » Sun Sep 23, 2012 9:25 pm

May Player wrote:Hmmm, I haven't thought about that! Who whould want a toxic Dyson sphere? ;)
Can you elaborate on this??

If race A prefer living on Gaia.. don't determine that race B also prefer living on the same kind of planet :)
M.O.R.E. under construction

Return to “Galaxies, Planets & Moons”