The elemental make-up of the Gas Planets

VoodooDog

The elemental make-up of the Gas Planets

Postby VoodooDog » Tue Nov 03, 2015 11:20 pm

Hi, i just read the second Q&A and u found this
We have four main types of planets: solid, tectonic, liquid and gas. Also all planets have one of four chemical compositions: carbon, iron, silicon and sulfur.

well.. i really like the possibility of 80 different planet types, but for the sake of realism i have to create this thread :D

i think most frequently occurring element in almost every gas giant is H and He.
Some planets have less then 50% H+He (like Uranus) but most have more then 50% H+He (like Saturn and Jupiter).

A gas giant Silicon or Iron planet would not make sense what so ever.
However, in the upper athmosphere, where the dense and temperature are low enough, you can find lots of different molecules.

just my 2 cents,
greetings

Calavero
Site Admin

Re: The elemental make-up of the Gas Planets

Postby Calavero » Tue Nov 03, 2015 11:55 pm

Thank you for this info VoodooDog. Maybe it was not clear in Q&A so I'll explain it here a little more.
Those 4 main chemical elements are main elements on which is based planec eco system or which life type it can support. For example on Earth it will be Carbon, but it doesn't mean that Earth is mainly created from Carbon. The same with gas planets. If any gas planes is "Fe" type, it doesn't mean that it's made of iron ;)
M.O.R.E. under construction

Hamsicco

Re: The elemental make-up of the Gas Planets

Postby Hamsicco » Tue Oct 31, 2017 5:52 am

I suppose you excellent

Return to “Galaxies, Planets & Moons”