Wormhole names

Calavero
Site Admin

Wormhole names

Postby Calavero » Wed Dec 16, 2015 3:40 pm

We need idea for series of names for wormholes in M.O.R.E. It would be nice if those names will be from the same type/"family".

Like for example "Zeus" "Hera" "Ares" etc.. for Greek Gods.
Other example can be: "WH-1" , "WH-2" etc..
Colours? "Yellow" "Blue" etc..
I hope you know what I mean, and what we need.

Maybe some of our forum members have interesting idea.. those names should be from the same type, but also different from standard star system names.
M.O.R.E. under construction

Andzo

Re: Wormhole names

Postby Andzo » Wed Dec 23, 2015 7:12 pm

Maybe female names. Like hurricanes. It looks similarly.

Calavero
Site Admin

Postby Calavero » Wed Dec 23, 2015 9:31 pm

Andzo wrote:Maybe female names. Like hurricanes. It looks similarly.

Hmm.. that's interesting idea! Thank you, I like it. We will discuss it in our team. Any other suggestion?
M.O.R.E. under construction

iDiniska

Postby iDiniska » Thu Dec 24, 2015 6:02 pm

SilasOfBorg
Hearty Supporter

Postby SilasOfBorg » Thu Dec 24, 2015 7:06 pm

Edit: I removed my "transit" idea because it got too complicated too quickly. :?

I think female names are ok, maybe have a theme like ancient greek or something (Agape, Berenike, Chara, etc). If you have more than 26 you can just start again at A with a different set of names. :D

alcaray

Postby alcaray » Fri Dec 25, 2015 12:27 am

First off, they probably ought to have something in the name to denote that the entity is a wormhole, as opposed to some other named entity in the game. Like your "WH-". Or maybe ending them all with "-hole" (though this might lead to some rude-sounding wormhole names).

As for the names themselves, how about ancient or classic board games? As in chess, shogi, go, senet, backgammon, risk, life, monopoly, checkers, domino, janggi, othello, pachisi, etc.

I like life-hole, go-hole, risk-hole a lot. Weird idea.

Fletchette

Postby Fletchette » Fri Dec 25, 2015 1:46 am

How about taking names from classical names for dangerous locales around the world; for example:
Scylla and Charybdis (the hard-to-negotiate sea areas for ancient Greek ships between the Strait of Messina off Sicily)
Moskstraumen (from the dangerous tidal current off the Norwegian coast)
Corryvreckan ( one of the largest whirlpools in the world, off the coast of Scotland)
Naruto (a whirlpool off the coast of Japan)
Skookumchuck (a tidal rapid off the coast of B.C., Canada)
Leh-Manali (a dangerous mountain pass in the Himalayas in India)
Guoliang Tunnel ( an dangerous mountain tunnel in the Taihang Mountains of China)
Taroko Gorge (a dangerous mountain pass in Taiwan)
Donner Pass (a once-difficult mountain pass in the US, named for the wagon train of travellers who got stuck there during the winter and ended up eating the dead to survive)
El Espinazo Del Diablo (the devil's backbone, a dangerous mountain pass in Mexico)

Anyway, you get the idea :)

alcaray

Postby alcaray » Fri Dec 25, 2015 1:07 pm

Or you could use names associated with worms like: planaria, Platyhelminthes, nematode, annelid, earthworm, redworm, tapeworm, flatworm, tubiflex, mealworm, hookworm, fluke, etc.

Fletchette

Postby Fletchette » Sat Dec 26, 2015 1:42 am

They could also be named after famous chokepoints that have featured in history or have been mentioned as possible focal points of important military or economic significance: Khyber Pass, Strait of Hormuz, Bosporus, Malacca, Bab El-Mandeb, Gibralter, Fulda Gap. I would think that in game terms, the wormholes will operate much like chokepoints in that massive shipping and military fleet movement will converge on these locations and thus be tempting to blockade, control or otherwise used to bottleneck competing forces.

As far as denoting the locales as wormholes, they could be called ERBs, short for Einstein-Rosen Bridge, which is another name for wormhole. So you could have the Khyber Erb, for example.

Mork from Ork
Ideas & Texts Creator

Postby Mork from Ork » Sat Dec 26, 2015 3:38 am

Maybe the wormhole name could be derived from the closest star name plus the sector number. Then the player who discovers the wormhole has the opportunity to give it a custom name of their choice. The computer generated name would be the wormholes astrological name. The customized naming would be a way to reward exploration and allow the player/race to put their stamp on the galaxy.

Allowing the player/race that discovers the wormhole the right to name it would tap into the creativity and infinite variability of the community.

Return to “Galaxies, Planets & Moons”