Number of planets

Thangulhad
Ideas & Texts Creator

Re: Number of planets

Postby Thangulhad » Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:31 am

Ok, so it seems like there will be 8 planets max for playabiilty. What about how many moons per planet? Asteroid belts in between planets?
-Thangulhad

Asmodan
Hearty Supporter

Postby Asmodan » Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:57 pm

I would say one moon max per planet. More would be cool but at some point it could become too much and confusing. Asteroid belts are for me a given, hopefully. Calavero? :?

Thangulhad
Ideas & Texts Creator

Postby Thangulhad » Thu Oct 04, 2012 1:55 pm

Asmodan wrote:I would say one moon max per planet. More would be cool but at some point it could become too much and confusing. Asteroid belts are for me a given, hopefully. Calavero? :?

I think having multiple moons would not be horrible or over played.
-Thangulhad

Calavero
Site Admin

Postby Calavero » Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:31 pm

We like moons. but we will see... we dont' want to have a system wit 10 planets and with 4 moons around each of those planets ;)
M.O.R.E. under construction

Thangulhad
Ideas & Texts Creator

Postby Thangulhad » Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:19 am

Calavero wrote:We like moons. but we will see... we dont' want to have a system wit 10 planets and with 4 moons around each of those planets ;)

Oh I think it should be rare to have a lot of moons. Look at our own system:

Planet.....Number of Moons Names of Moons
Mercury.........0
Venus............0
Earth............1................The Moon (sometimes called Luna)
Mars.............2................Phobos, Deimos
*Several other satellites have been reported but not confirmed.
Jupiter.........16*..............Metis, Adrastea, Amalthea, Thebe, Io, Europa, Ganymede, Callisto, Leda, Himalia, Lysithia, Elara, Ananke, Carme, Pasiphae, Sinope
Saturn..........18*..............Atlas, 1981S13 (unnamed as yet), Prometheus, Pandora, Epimetheus, Janus, Mimas, Enceladus, Ththys, Telesto, Calypso, Dione, Helene, Rhea, Titan, Hyperion, Iapetus, Phoebe
Uranus..........15..............Cordelia, Ophelia, Bianca, Cressida, Desdemona, Juliet, Portia, Rosalind, Belinda, Puck, Miranda, Ariel, Umbriel, Titania, Oberon
Neptune.........8...............Naiad, Thalassa, Despina, Galatea, Larissa, Proteus, Triton, Nereid
Pluto.............1...............Charon (but by modern definition, Pluto is not even a planet anymore)

But seriously, most "moons" are just large rocks in orbit. I think for game play, most moons should be of a sizeable mass to qualify

The Saturnian moon system is very lopsided: one moon, Titan, comprises more than 96% of the mass in orbit around the planet. The six other planemo (ellipsoidal) moons constitute roughly 4%, while the remaining 55 small moons, together with the rings, comprise only 0.04%.[a]
per http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moons_of_Saturn. So realistically, there are 7 "real" moons tops.

Same with Jupiter. 4 real-sized moons, and everything else is small potatoes:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moons_of_Jupiter

Neptune has only one bigger moon. Uranus has 5 medium sized moons, almost neglible possibly from a game play aspect.

So if you boiled down our system in game play:

Mercury.........0
Venus............0
Earth............1
Mars.............2
Jupiter..........4
Saturn..........1
Uranus..........0 *making all the med size moons pointless
Neptune.........1
(scrapping Pluto)
-Thangulhad

GoranXII

Postby GoranXII » Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:25 am

If Mars has two moons, Jupiter gets at least eight (aside Adrastea, all four of the inner Moons are much larger than Phobos).

Additionally, even if we stretch it to say that moons - for game purposes - must be over 1,000 km (a convenient number, there tends to be nothing below that down to about 500 km), then Saturn's going to get 5 (Tethys, Dione, Rhea, Titan and Iapetus), and Uranus 4 (Ariel, Umbreil, Titania and Oberon). You could raise it to 2,000-2,500 km, which would get you those results, but then you're left with the question of what to do with the extras around Saturn and JUranus, since they're markedly larger than anything else, yet not big enough to qualify.

Assuming then a lunar radius of 2,000km as minimum, you end up with:
Mercury.........0
Venus............0
Earth............1
Mars.............0
Jupiter..........4
Saturn..........1
Uranus..........0
Neptune.........1

Maybe the way to use the other moons would be as remote mining bases of various sizes (say, level 1 for 10-50 km, level 2 for 50-200 km, level 3 for 200-500 km, and level 4 for 500-2000 km). This would give you (level 1 / level 2 / level 3 / level 4):
Mercury.........(0/0/0/0)
Venus............(0/0/0/0)
Earth............(0/0/0/0)
Mars.............(2/0/0/0)
Jupiter..........(7/5/0/0)
Saturn..........(13/4/4/4)
Uranus..........(11-13*/9-11*/1/4)
Neptune.........(3/7/2/0)
plus an addition 23 x level 3 and 3 x level 4 asteroids for the main belt (and an innumerable number of level 1 and 2 objects), and gets Pluto categorised as a 'level 4' potential mining base

*depending on how you count Bianca (51±4 km) and Prospero (~50 km).

Haji
Hearty Supporter

Postby Haji » Sat Oct 06, 2012 7:43 pm

Will the moons be separete objects, treated the same as planets, or will they be only an "add-on" to the planets like in MOO3 or Endless Space?

Calavero
Site Admin

Postby Calavero » Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:17 pm

For now we would like it to be like separate planets....
M.O.R.E. under construction

kspn
Ideas & Texts Creator

Postby kspn » Fri Oct 26, 2012 1:54 pm

And that doesn't even cover converting all the planets and moons into a Dyson Sphere or Ringworld :)

My issue with Ringworld/Dyson implementations in most games is that they often are just 'really really big and we don't care where you got the resources' where in "reality" I suspect it will be more likely to be either
1) Real estate determined by the amount of resources in a sol system (minimum threshold required to build one, excluding tech level)
2) Able to port in resources, but effectively strip mining other close solar systems that you 'own'

Oh yeah and after making a Dyson Sphere the star goes 'out' and vanishes form the main galaxy map (which we can assume? is an FTL view of the galaxy)

I have seen a few different approaches for planets and moons (Stars!, SE3/4/5, Pax Imp, MOO/2/3) and I think that they all have their advantages and disadvantages so I am looking forward to what MORE does in this space :D
No Coffee, No workee!

JPTS
Ideas & Texts Creator

Postby JPTS » Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:25 pm

Calavero wrote:We like moons. but we will see... we dont' want to have a system wit 10 planets and with 4 moons around each of those planets ;)

Calavero, I don´t think that lots of planets and moons are necessary. But they look nice in a system, so maybe you could make some planets and moons that cannot be colonized. We would see them but they would not affect gameplay. For example: most of Saturn and Jupiter moons, pluto (maybe mercury as well), etc. They would be rocks (or ice) orbiting the planets (or the star), that cannot be selected for colonization.

Return to “Galaxies, Planets & Moons”