Living in the sun

Evil Tactician
Hearty Supporter

Re: Living in the sun

Postby Evil Tactician » Fri Nov 09, 2012 6:13 pm

Sounds like a balance nightmare for players - but as a minor/ai race, would add a lot of flavor.
The surest sign of intelligent life in this universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.
Editor at Mana Pool - Independent PC Game Reviews

VenomStorm
Ideas & Texts Creator

Postby VenomStorm » Sun Nov 11, 2012 8:22 pm

Evil Tactician wrote:Sounds like a balance nightmare for players - but as a minor/ai race, would add a lot of flavor.

Completely agree. I mean the main point of the game is conflict. (be it military, diplomatic, or economic) and races need to share something for there to be conflict. A race that lives in a sun would have very little to fight over with races who live on planets. The only way I see humans needing to fight some solarian race, would be if the solarians existence in the sun physically hurt life on human colonies. Otherwise they would go about their business ignoring each other. This is the balance nightmare.

That being said, if they were one of the random races you can encounter and they guard, protect, or offer access to some unique opportunities I'd love to see them.

Maestro

Postby Maestro » Sun Dec 09, 2012 6:06 am

I think this is a pretty cool idea.

Kind of like the Muatt from Twilight Imperium.

It would make an awesome random event. "Hey guys, we've been living in this sun for the last billion years or so. Hi."

Dscarron

Postby Dscarron » Sun Mar 23, 2014 10:14 pm

VenomStorm wrote:
Evil Tactician wrote:Sounds like a balance nightmare for players - but as a minor/ai race, would add a lot of flavor.

Completely agree. I mean the main point of the game is conflict. (be it military, diplomatic, or economic) and races need to share something for there to be conflict. A race that lives in a sun would have very little to fight over with races who live on planets.

I don't agree. Having a star inhabited in your system would be strategically concerning. You would be at risk of ship attacks, threats to trade and general security. I would hope there would be penalties such as loss of morale, happiness and trade without an unification/alliance. I would also figure there would have to be tech thresholds for communication, trade, non-attack agreements and alliance, so that some investment would be required and not just a simple issue.

VenomStorm
Ideas & Texts Creator

Postby VenomStorm » Mon Mar 31, 2014 2:02 am

You missed my point. Sure a planet based species might feel threatened by a potentially hostile enemy living in their star. However, as long as the star species' presence does not harm said star, the planet based species will have no reason to engage them other than on friendly terms.

Wars are always fought over wealth. Wealth comes from resources. The star species only needs to worry about stars. They could care less what the planet bound races are doing so long as it doesn't disrupt their star. So there would be no reason for war between races who do not share resources. Your planet bound species would never have to worry that the star species will invade your world, just as they do not have to worry about you invading their star.

Teleros
Ideas & Texts Creator

Postby Teleros » Mon Mar 31, 2014 3:58 pm

In a word, no. The inhabitants of that star / those planets may very well be hostile for non-economic reasons (religion, for example). And even if they're friendly, military planning relies on capabilities, not intent.
Clear ether!

michalbs87

Postby michalbs87 » Fri Nov 07, 2014 8:53 pm

In my opinion presence of starliving beings in star system should have negative effect on all planets from that system. In example feeding on Star by this creatures can affect stability of star which leads to massive solar eruptions and burning planets to the ground. I think that gives reason for war.

Calavero
Site Admin

Postby Calavero » Mon Nov 10, 2014 11:20 am

Nice idea about influencing stars stability by Stjornuri colony! I think we will use it.. because it can be indeed a reason to declare war on them!
M.O.R.E. under construction

Return to “Races”