God-like races from Babylon V

May Player
Ideas & Texts Creator

Re: God-like races from Babylon V

Postby May Player » Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:16 am

Calavero wrote:"I, Valxadren the Retired, am waiting for you prayers. So far, you've prayed for $52k I may drop by to visit M.O.R.E. universe if you will pray more..."

;)

Give us more to upgrade our prayers ;)
-unique visual effects which will stay unique forever (in single player mode and multiplayer)
-to make the gameplay memorable, allow to place on ships leader/player country flag (Canadian or Polish, American, German etc)
Last edited by May Player on Wed Oct 17, 2012 12:12 am, edited 2 times in total.

Tel
Ideas & Texts Creator

Postby Tel » Mon Oct 15, 2012 5:34 pm

and instead of "Q" let's have Chuck Norris!!

JTL

Postby JTL » Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:34 pm

No No No you went Overboard. Chuck is way to OP for this Game. ;P

May Player
Ideas & Texts Creator

Postby May Player » Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:54 pm

Take his cloak away!

Adimus_Prime

Postby Adimus_Prime » Sun Feb 02, 2014 2:47 am

God-like or Ancient Races (like Babylon 5) would be interesting and could be fun. The idea of a powerful entity or group in the game that did not have the same objectives (colonization) as the other races/groups in the Game. A race of beings (or several like the Vorlons and the Shadows) that were very powerful, damn near invincible, and they fought each other, searched for specific things, and that resulted in the destruction of colonies or ships. And they would never explain themselves or their reasoning. Hell even from time to time (very infrequently or maybe this could be a scenario) they could just clean house wiping out 90% of the galaxies colonies or ships, or maybe just an empire they decided that didn't need to be there anymore.

To add, maybe, to their difficulty or mystery they would mostly ignore attempts to be communicated with.
I am a huge 4x game fan. As always I am up for a discussion, even a passionate one. If you are polite to me I am polite to you. If you are rude to me you will be ignored. After all its the internet and we don't know each other.

Teleros
Ideas & Texts Creator

Postby Teleros » Sun Feb 02, 2014 12:58 pm

Meh, the B5 races were hardly inscrutable or militarily even particularly godlike - they just didn't tell anyone what they were up to (read: power-behind-the-throne Vorlon vs Shadow squabbling, basically), and their ships were taken out by 500-600 megaton omnidirectional nuclear blasts - peewee weapons when set against planet-busters and the like.

http://www.scifights.net/SciFights.net/Babylon_5.html

I'd prefer something more along the lines of the Antarans from MoO2 - ie a fairly conventional enemy you can, in principle, blow away if they get too cocky etc. And also blow away *for good* without ending the game. "Right, that's the Vorlons exterminated. Now - anyone else want to take on the Earth Alliance :twisted: ?"
Clear ether!

Adimus_Prime

Postby Adimus_Prime » Sun Feb 02, 2014 2:47 pm

OK, then don't use the B5 Ancient races as a point of reference. This is why I hardly ever use sci-fi universes as examples because people tend to get lost in the minutia of the world someone is referencing. Details about foggy physics impacting imagined beings or things becomes more important than the idea itself.

Lets imagine or discuss from a gameplay stand point think of the idea of Ancient races like a random event, or perhaps better phrasing Mega-event:

It could last a few turns (i.e. Ancient race starts to occupy one of your systems for a few turns maybe it does something like destroys a specific model of ship OR gives you some advanced technology OR maybe it doesn't do anything at all...)

OR last a significant portion of the game (i.e. decides to destroy worlds with artifacts on them where they are populated or not)

OR lasts the rest of the game (i.e. they just decide that a specific race, alliance or portion of the galaxy has to be wiped out. A prolonged war of aggression and genocide.)

Of course the more severe the intervention the more unlikely it would happen. You could go a very long time before it would happen or it would never happen. Just to be safe this event would never be triggered if a player was at or below a specific technology level or turned off this option all together before the game started.

Though, thinking about it, this might work better as a scenario...ideas to flesh out...
I am a huge 4x game fan. As always I am up for a discussion, even a passionate one. If you are polite to me I am polite to you. If you are rude to me you will be ignored. After all its the internet and we don't know each other.

Calavero
Site Admin

Postby Calavero » Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:23 am

It can be also something like Q from StarTrek. It doesn't need to be some wariors race..
It HAVE to be available to turn on/off in settings..
And it's a little hard to invent something original and playable...
M.O.R.E. under construction

Teleros
Ideas & Texts Creator

Postby Teleros » Mon Feb 03, 2014 1:35 pm

Calavero wrote:And it's a little hard to invent something original and playable...

I wouldn't worry too much - most sci-fi isn't original these days :) .

Let's see though...
  • Claimed World: An ancient & powerful race has already claimed this world you're trying to colonise - though they don't appear to be living on it (yet?). Accepting this will decolonise the planet but give you +1 population on another of your already-colonised world of your choice. Denying this will result in the ancient race dispatching a fleet to wipe out your colony after a few turns. Only procs off planets & artificial habitats that were there when the game started.
  • Trial by Combat (Small): One of your ships has been captured, and forced to compete in a series of battles. It will be fully repaired after every fight it survives, and finishing will grant its crew an impressive increase in XP; however, it may also be destroyed.
  • Trial by Combat (Large): An ancient & powerful race has decided to test you, to see if you are worthy of inheriting the stars. A powerful drone fleet has been dispatched to one of your worlds - defeating it will provide a significant boost to your research rate and provide one free technology from the drone fleet that you don't already have.
  • Stellar Engineering: An ancient & powerful race has a sent a fleet of advanced ships to alter a star to produce more/less energy, which will have a drastic effect on your colony world(s) in orbit around it. Whilst terraforming will let you overcome this change, you can also engage the fleet in order to stop them.
  • Ancient World: Deep-buried structures on a colony of yours contain an army of hostile aliens - and they're now awake! Your ground forces and fighters must defeat the long-buried menace, else the colony will be destroyed. Fortunately, the buried menace takes several turns to awake & attack, giving you time to send in reinforcements. Only procs from natural planets, not artificial habitats.
Clear ether!

Adimus_Prime

Postby Adimus_Prime » Mon Feb 03, 2014 4:33 pm

Teleros wrote:I wouldn't worry too much - most sci-fi isn't original these days :) .

Let's see though...
  • Claimed World: An ancient & powerful race has already claimed this world you're trying to colonise - though they don't appear to be living on it (yet?). Accepting this will decolonise the planet but give you +1 population on another of your already-colonised world of your choice. Denying this will result in the ancient race dispatching a fleet to wipe out your colony after a few turns. Only procs off planets & artificial habitats that were there when the game started.
  • Trial by Combat (Small): One of your ships has been captured, and forced to compete in a series of battles. It will be fully repaired after every fight it survives, and finishing will grant its crew an impressive increase in XP; however, it may also be destroyed.
  • Trial by Combat (Large): An ancient & powerful race has decided to test you, to see if you are worthy of inheriting the stars. A powerful drone fleet has been dispatched to one of your worlds - defeating it will provide a significant boost to your research rate and provide one free technology from the drone fleet that you don't already have.
  • Stellar Engineering: An ancient & powerful race has a sent a fleet of advanced ships to alter a star to produce more/less energy, which will have a drastic effect on your colony world(s) in orbit around it. Whilst terraforming will let you overcome this change, you can also engage the fleet in order to stop them.
  • Ancient World: Deep-buried structures on a colony of yours contain an army of hostile aliens - and they're now awake! Your ground forces and fighters must defeat the long-buried menace, else the colony will be destroyed. Fortunately, the buried menace takes several turns to awake & attack, giving you time to send in reinforcements. Only procs from natural planets, not artificial habitats.

I love all those ideas. Especially the Stellar Engineering. What I think is most important is the idea of an event in the game that introduces something intelligent with a different set of goals (different than all of the other empires) that is powerful and a force to be reckoned with.

Return to “Races”