Please NO races, make genus instead

Jounk33

Please NO races, make genus instead

Postby Jounk33 » Sat Mar 02, 2013 2:32 pm

Every 4x Sci-Fi game makes the same mistake and comes with exceptional races.
But that is boring, sorry.
There is only one game that species gives a sense, And the game is called "Stars!"
In Stars! species only can live on a planet when temperatue, gravitation, and radiation is in the tolerancearea of this species.
All species comes without grafics. The player can his own and the AI species design as he like. there are no fixed races like in all other 4x games.
Why you (the MORE Team) invest so much toil for exceptional races? Every gamer has it own representations of alien live. just give the gamer the option to make his very own species. Species that differing realy.

KogXXV
Hearty Supporter

Re: Please NO races, make genus instead

Postby KogXXV » Sat Mar 02, 2013 3:22 pm

They did promise an ingame race creator so creating your ideal alien race should not be too much of a problem.

I can't speak for everyone but I am interested on the MORE team's alien design. I would love to see their races and see another viewpoint on alien life. Many people would point at the legendary Master of Orion games as a 4x game that did have exceptional races and is beloved by many.

VenomStorm
Ideas & Texts Creator

Postby VenomStorm » Sat Mar 02, 2013 5:31 pm

Masters of Orion also had custom races which added to its appeal i think. I think the MORE team has done a phenomenal jobs creating a wide range of unique species while still holding true to some classic scifi races. On top of that we will be able to customize our individual race stats. Personally, I prefer to play with custom races and is a feature I am really looking forward to.

May Player
Ideas & Texts Creator

Postby May Player » Sat Mar 02, 2013 6:06 pm

I personally really like designed races. Especially when they have background stories. After several game sessions the races become nicely familiar and exciting ie. when you see Bruthas again you begin to think "what they will come up with this time?"

I imagine how tedious it would be to pick the visuals for every race we meet. No emotional connection to any of them at any given time. We could as well forget about any visuals for the races, just number them from 1 to 20 and have their ships as big white blocks with numbers on them. :D

VenomStorm
Ideas & Texts Creator

Postby VenomStorm » Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:54 pm

Oh yea I definently love to face set races. I often end up having rivalries with certain races who bother me game after game. It fun crushing them into oblivion.

VoodooDog

Postby VoodooDog » Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:05 pm

i played MoO2 and Stars! alot and i must say both games are the best of their kind.

allthough i liked MoO2 more because of the tech tree, the battles and the race designe.
the races are more different from each other in MoO2 then their was in Stars! because of the special race picks which where so varied and creative.

Lupusam
Hearty Supporter

Postby Lupusam » Thu Oct 31, 2013 7:18 pm

The Race/Genus distinction only makes sense when a common ancestry applies, you can think of a Race as being a connected Genus of diverging species if you prefer, and I believe there's already plans for reduced colonisation/terraforming/dome-housing for worlds not suited to your Race, and reduced cross colonisation for Races that want different environments...

Return to “Races”