What about a "floral" race?

Protagonist

Re: What about a "floral" race?

Postby Protagonist » Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:08 pm

I like your ideas Asmodan. Very creative and realistic, to me anyways.

Tel
Ideas & Texts Creator

Postby Tel » Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:12 pm

Anyone read the Saga of the Seven Suns, remember the world trees of Theroc and the great living battleships? That would be cool.
With 20 races planned for the game, i think we can have an organic race among them. Just think of the "green" U.I. :mrgreen:

May Player
Ideas & Texts Creator

Postby May Player » Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:45 pm

Yes, it sounds interesting. A race that could not build ships..
-They could GROW ships ;) Organic ships. Babylon V had Vorlons and Shadows. Pretty cool visual.
- They could pay other races to transport them to another planet

Asmodan
Hearty Supporter

Postby Asmodan » Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:02 pm

Thanks protagonist.

May Player, that was exactly my idea. As no ships would be kind of boring they could grow them. Your point about Babylon 5 is good. I am just watching the series again and I am still impressed by the depiction of the races. They really made it work that Vorlons and Shadows really looked like being so much more advanced than the other ones.

By the way, instead of technology research one could call it evolution. This would add more to the flavor of being different. I think Starcraft 2 did this with the Zerg research.

And one more point: I think in one of the other topics there was the wish for having organic races, e.g. something like Aliens or Tyranids (Warhammer 40k). Maybe a solution for keeping the additional amount of work low for developing new technologies, buildings and so on would be to have two kind of races: complete organic (Alien, plant race, etc.) and partially organic (MoO2 races for example, so humanoids using machines). Maybe one could also add a third one: robots.

Cruxador
Hearty Supporter

Postby Cruxador » Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:13 am

If you're looking for other sources to take inspiration from, look at the Hist from the Elder Scrolls universe. They're the trees which control the Argonians as a sort of a religious slave race. They're telepathic, and in the fifth age they fly around in outer space (Oblivion, the space between sky and stars) and fight Jills by shooting them with math.

TheSchem
Hearty Supporter

Postby TheSchem » Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:00 am

Asmoden you are really good at this, I like your ideas.

I think perhaps implementing all of them might make this race too different, but I really like the idea of using food production as production. Even if only 50% of food production was used in producing buildings and ships would be cool. It would really highlight how reliant this race is on the sun and the climate of the planet.

Also growing ships is a really cool idea to me.

Lupusam
Hearty Supporter

Postby Lupusam » Wed Oct 17, 2012 4:45 pm

I'm thinking now of a plant-style race that has two forms to its life, being mobile and active in the first stage and then rooting itelf in the second stage. For this race to 'grow' their ships and other technology would be cool, but I'd be wary of making it too evolution focused instead of making it an intelligent species using non-sentient plants as tools...

As to the fungus control idea, very cool for a creepy weapon idea, and parasitic fungus controlling the acts of the host has actually been found... http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news ... ce-brazil/

GoranXII

Postby GoranXII » Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:48 pm

A properly done floral race would be incredibly hard to 'root out' (excuse the pun), I mean gorse (AKA furze, furse, whin) is incredibly hard to remove, and that's just a simple plant, an intelligent one would be even worse.

Asmodan
Hearty Supporter

Postby Asmodan » Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:51 am

I like the pun. And that could actually be a characteristic of the race. So instead of having an up-rising after some turns the plants can simply grow back and attack. So it would be hard to completely conquer a planet of this plant race. This would actually fit it's supposed slow rate of colonization if the race spreads not by colony ships but by sending out spores.

Lupusam, we could keep it simple by having one central intelligence like the Zerg in StarCraft do. So you could choose the way of evolution/technology research. But whatever, my initial idea was simply to create a very different race which plays nothing like the other ones. So having some "weird" playing style is intentional.

So far, we don't know in which exact way the devs plan to make the races different in playing style so I really hope there will be some nice new ideas instead of having the simple differentiation between fast/slow population growth, good/bad researchers, etc.

May Player
Ideas & Texts Creator

Postby May Player » Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:36 am

Asmodan wrote: So instead of having an up-rising after some turns the plants can simply grow back and attack. So it would be hard to completely conquer a planet of this plant race.

Just like in Sid's Alpha Centauri...

Return to “Races”