Race AI Goals

Teleros
Ideas & Texts Creator

Race AI Goals

Postby Teleros » Wed Jun 04, 2014 11:44 pm

Some thoughts on how to best get across the character of the races, make them unique to play against, and so on. Basically, it means giving MORE's faction AI certain weighting adjustments based on the faction. Anyhow, here's the ideas I've had so far:

-Ameslarians: Love spying & diplomacy, prefer to play more of a support role in alliances etc.
-Brutas: Love all wars, dislike easy wins in war & like challenges in war, weird diplomatic results from war - they LIKE tough enemies, and DISLIKE easy ones - so a brutal slogging match against them will mean they might want to ally afterwards (!), consider breaking treaties to go to war a very minor fault.
-Felidians: Love spying, prefer to play more of a support role in alliances etc.
-Lithodoros: Welcome conflict, tend to neglect diplomatic methods & trade ("eww, organics!"), prefer total conquest/extermination to piecemeal conquest/extermination.
-Mechimeran: Indifferent / neutral to conflict, slow & methodical approach, prefer piecemeal conquest to total conquest, tend to neglect diplomatic methods & trade.
-Nosnarians: Love spying, prefer to play more of a support role in alliances etc.
-Olagarroans: High degree of randomisation in their AI weights - the wildcard faction.
-Skribdis: Love raids & short wars, very easily provoked into war WRT diplomacy.
-Terrans: Use conflict to preserve balance of power (well, maybe with them on top of the pile :P ), like trading, maybe like spying (?), focus on Diplomatic Victory, jack-of-all-trades faction (baseline AI weights?).
-Ubarros: Avoid conflict, focus on Economic Victory, love trading, encourage spying, ally with more militaristic but reliable factions if necessary for wars.
-Zientzielari: Avoid conflict, remember conflicts better, focus on Tech Victory, ally with more militaristic but reliable factions if necessary for wars.

Thoughts?
Clear ether!

Calavero
Site Admin

Re: Race AI Goals

Postby Calavero » Thu Jun 05, 2014 12:32 pm

Very interesting post Teleros, and.. it can be important topic.
I'll try to add some of my thoughts to Teleros text:

- Ameslarians - more love for diplomacy than for spying.
- Arranos - positive empire. Very honorable. Strong ally. They don't start wars if not forced to.
- Brutas - they can offer smaller empires (easy opponents) becoming their vasals instead of going to war and defeating them.
- Felidians - in diplomacy, they will try to frame other empires and confront them with each other. They live with conflicts which are going around them.. so they likely start wars (in the best case in which they don't take active part)
- Hvalurs - want's to keep peace in space. Also strong ally which don't start wars. Very hard to achieve any diplomacy success with them. (they also tend to neglect diplomatic methods & trade ("eww, organics!") ) Expanding in peacefull way. Diplomatic/economy victory.
- Lithodoros - if they are not bothered, they can be peacefull
- Maa-ar - stubborn race. if war was declared upon them, they will try to destroy their enemies.
- Mechimerans - don't care about diplomacy and treaties. Don't forget that they use aliens as raw materials to create theirs own units. So when they want to grow, they move again to war/conquer. They easily start wars.
- Myrmecians - Also very military, war like race. Highly productive. Tends to achieve war or economic victory.
- Nosnarians - they also try to outmaneuver thirs opponent fleet on main screen, due to invisible (more stealthy) ships. Quite mysterious race. Not easy to create 1st contact with them.
- Olagarroans - yes.. unpredictable, but also rather positive. Trying to create alliances.
- Proteans - like Terrans, rather balanced race tendind to diplomatic victory.
- Raefillis - expanding on gas planets. They use labor camps for conquered races.
- Skiteli - can start religion war. Unpredictable
- Skribdis - like Teleros wrote. Nothing to add from me.
- Stjornurians - as Raefillis.. they live on stars so if they don't feel threatened, they don't get involved into conflicts.
- Terrans - I doubt they are above average with spying :P
- Ubarros - like Teleros wrote. Nothing to add from me.
- Velmenese - logical, cold-minded races. Unlike Mechimerans, they will not start devastating war without reason. Very productive race.
- Zientzielari - like Teleros wrote. Nothing to add from me.
M.O.R.E. under construction

Teleros
Ideas & Texts Creator

Postby Teleros » Thu Jun 05, 2014 1:58 pm

To clarify, I'm not talking about racial *bonuses* here so much as AI goals etc. For example, diplomacy & spying tend to go hand in hand here on Earth (how many spies work in embassies, for example?), so I imagine the Terrans possibly (hence the question mark in my original post) being quite active at spying even if they lack any special bonuses.

Another thing - I've no clue about AI programming etc, but one thing that stuck out for me was what you wrote about the Nosnarians & outmanoeuvring enemies on the strategic level - this could be rather hard for the AI, no?

For actual racial bonuses though... go look at my other thread here about unique techs & bonuses :) .
Clear ether!

JPTS
Ideas & Texts Creator

Postby JPTS » Fri Jun 27, 2014 6:26 pm

Will the Skiteli be more interested in declaring war on the atheistic races? Or do they dislike more those who worship false gods?

Calavero
Site Admin

Postby Calavero » Sat Jun 28, 2014 11:53 am

JPTS wrote:Will the Skiteli be more interested in declaring war on the atheistic races? Or do they dislike more those who worship false gods?

Interesting thoughts JPTS. We'll try to add this to diplomatic AI.
M.O.R.E. under construction

Teleros
Ideas & Texts Creator

Postby Teleros » Mon Jun 30, 2014 12:36 pm

They would surely be opposed to all unbelievers in their own gods ;) .

Edit: Another thought - what if races react differently to the different ways you can talk to them? I imagine that the Brutas would find too much servility a little nauseating for example, and actually respond less well to that than might be expected.
Clear ether!

JPTS
Ideas & Texts Creator

Postby JPTS » Wed Jul 02, 2014 3:14 am

Teleros wrote:They would surely be opposed to all unbelievers in their own gods ;) .

Edit: Another thought - what if races react differently to the different ways you can talk to them? I imagine that the Brutas would find too much servility a little nauseating for example, and actually respond less well to that than might be expected.

I like this idea Teleros. Each race should react differently to how you talk.

As for the Skiteli, religion should be important in diplomacy AI. It would be strange if they ignored the other empire's religion.

But other factors will certainly have influence, because otherwise, they will declare war on everyone. Maybe they will not be offended by atheists if they have a military alliance, assuming that the other race will find enlightment later. But what about races that see themselves as Gods? Complicated...

Teleros
Ideas & Texts Creator

Postby Teleros » Wed Jul 02, 2014 10:25 am

JPTS wrote:But other factors will certainly have influence, because otherwise, they will declare war on everyone. Maybe they will not be offended by atheists if they have a military alliance, assuming that the other race will find enlightment later. But what about races that see themselves as Gods? Complicated...

A lot depends on how the Skiteli religion works. For example, the Romans got on famously well with other religions. "You have a god of lightning? Oh, so do we - they must be same!" sort of thing. In this case, you could say they're more likely to ally with other religious factions... but would probably be less zealous too. But if they're more like the big three monotheistic religions of Earth, then you worship Skiteli gods or else.

Final point: religion shouldn't be the be-all and end-all of their diplomacy. Plenty of theocracies in the real world have atheistic allies and partners in various things (Saudi Arabia & the USA anyone?), because they manage to keep their diplomatic work separated enough from their religious convictions to do business. Now, maybe the Saudis wouldn't behave like that if THEY were the dominant economic & military power in their alliance with the USA (interesting idea for the Skiteli IMHO), but it's something to bear in mind at least.
Clear ether!

Return to “Races”