The Brutas

GoranXII

Re: The Brutas

Postby GoranXII » Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:02 pm

Hands are not necessary, but you will need fine-detail manipulators of some sort. As for getting someone else to do the building, that requires two extras, a client species that's almost as bright, and a way to communicate technical details, and at that, what's to stop the clients from taking the upper hand?

May Player
Ideas & Texts Creator

Postby May Player » Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:19 pm

Yes, hands are not necessary when a race has developed over long time with a mutually beneficial agreement between them? The smaller ones would love to be in the shade of the protective, big partner and she Big, strong partner would love to protect that little one, who takes care of him/her.
I would go even farther, what about if both species were needed to procreate. They could even get 'married'. Think about it, as strange it may seem at first, it is possible and in the big picture of sci-fi world.

In such a scenerio, there would not be any 'taking over'. They need each other to survive and prosper.

GoranXII

Postby GoranXII » Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:59 am

Or you could go the way of the Tavi/Faber over on Orion's Arm, where the Tavi (enlarged, uplifted meerkats) live fast and provide much of the day-to-day adaptability, while the Fabers (sapient robots), provide guidance towards long-term goals.

May Player
Ideas & Texts Creator

Postby May Player » Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:03 pm

Yes, exactly like that. Any mutually beneficial dependency woul be sufficient to explain how the Brutas could became players on a galactic stage..

Tel
Ideas & Texts Creator

Postby Tel » Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:05 pm

In some other thread someone asked me to write a Brutas related (diplomacy) comment.
After watching Update 10 on ship design with the Brutas battleships this came to my mind naturally: :roll:

"Perhaps your naive ambassadors should first be educated on our culture before presenting us with such pathetic excuses for trespassing to our space, but for the sake of this conversation it is enough for you to know, that the horns of our ancestors of ten thousand years ago are still hard enough to pierce steel, and our memories persist longer than our horns."

"Do not mistake us for feeble herbivores by our looks, we are not. But even if we were herbivores, we would not hesitate to turn your entire ugly race to fertilizer to grow our grass."

btw the music is awesome.

Calavero
Site Admin

Postby Calavero » Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:08 am

nice :)

If someone feels strong enough in txt content writing.... and want to help us creating vast more universe.. please write here:
here

Tel, we are waiting for you ;)
M.O.R.E. under construction

Tiberius

Postby Tiberius » Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:13 am

Did someone on your team compose that music? That's good stuff! I never thought watching white boxes float across the screen could feel so epic!

Calavero
Site Admin

Postby Calavero » Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:14 pm

Tiberius wrote:Did someone on your team compose that music? That's good stuff! I never thought watching white boxes float across the screen could feel so epic!

Yes, It's our team member Marcin (There is another Marcin in our team, because my name is Marcin too :) ).
And he's doing great epic music.. you'll have over 10h of it in our game, due to reaching $65.000
M.O.R.E. under construction

Don

Postby Don » Sat Nov 10, 2012 2:35 am

Nice I like the way it doesn't look human-like at all, I hate on sci-fi shows like Star Trek (I know it's mainly budget reasons) where races are just humans with a different shaped forehead.

Maestro

Postby Maestro » Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:12 am

I think it's very important for each race to have a theme that is consistent with the facts about them, as you've presented it.

I am a lore-snob, I am the first to admit it. I have no problem whatsoever with a warlike bovine race - it's kind of an ironic twist from the bovine position of domestication and total subservience on earth.

That said, I would definitely like to know more about them. My first impression is, as someone said, they look scary. Also with a name like Brutas, that kinda sounds like Brutal, and I guess that's how they're supposed to appear? One's got a chaingun mounted to his back. OK.

I'd be interested to know how they evolved - how they manipulate complicated machines without grasping implements (hooves aren't great for doing anything more than pushing buttons!) and how they communicate. And why are they warlike? What's the connection between their geology, their physiology, and their apparently warlike predilection?

Inevitably with these kinds of games, you get kind of stereotyped based on appearance ("these are the cat people" / "these are the space elves" / "these are the zerg") and you know, I think it definitely decreases some people's interests when they can tell at a glance what this race is all about. At least, if they think they do. You may have a totally fleshed out backstory for them that isn't done full justice by a couple of shots of artwork. At first glance though, it's kind of hard to tell more than that they are badass looking bulls.

I do like that they are on the less humanoid side, and they appear to have six legs. On their homeworld it may have made sense to have more legs as a dominant life form, rather than two.

Return to “Races”