Buildings

Calavero
Site Admin

Buildings

Postby Calavero » Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:08 am

Hello,
We are interested in what have you to say on "Builings" topic. What building shall we include in M.O.R.E.? And how they should works? Any ideas for interesting features of those objects? If you can please stick to this sheme:
Name
- short description
- game impact
- performance depends on population living on planet? [yes/no]

I'll put now short list of obvious buildings:

POPULATION
cloning center
- simply cloning people, learning them how to adjust to life etc.
- regular increase of population
NO

advanced hospital
- healing people like in our hospitals but on higher lvl
- slightly random increase of population
YES

FARMING
automated farms
- unmanned food productions facilities
- regular increase of food produced in auto farms
NO

soil enrichement facility
- enrichement soil in minerals etc.
- increase of food depending on farmers quantity
YES

MINING
teleporting mines
- teleports searched minerals from underground to the surface
- increase in mining
NO

deep core mines
- allowing mines to reach planet core
- increase in mining depening on quantity of miners
YES

PRODUCTION
automated factories
- robotic factories creating production
- simply increasing production
NO

multifixers
- creating uber pro mega tools which helps during work
- increasing production
YES

RESEARCH
planet AI center
- Big computer complex
- Generates Research Points
NO

research labs
- Labolatories where scientists can work at 150% of their capabilities ;)
- increasing creativity of scientists
YES

MONEY
spaceport
- place where people can trade and spend money
- increasing money income
YES

COMMAND POINTS
Headquarters
- place where admirals can drink coffee ;)
- increasing comand points
NO

HAPPINESS
holodeck
- holodecks like in StarTrek ;)
- increasing happiness
YES

DEFENCE
starbase
- starbase capable of fighting intruders and managing space traffic
- increase of Command Points + defence weapons
NO

orbital platform
- military platform in orbit with weapons
- defence weapons
NO

minefields
- mines placed around planet
- blocking way of aproach to planet
NO

planetary shield
- creating a shield system around a planet
- decreasing radiation and bombardment from a orbit
NO

military instalations
- barracks etc on a planet
- increasing planet defence
NO

military spaceport
- fighter garnison
NO

ground cannons
- cannons capable of firing into space
NO

missle silos
- Silos with space missles
NO

TERRAFORMING
Gravity generator
- gravity devices which can change gravity on a planet
- creating desirable Gravity
NO

Temperature processors
- devices which can raise or lower planet temperature
- changing temperature of a planet (terraforming)
NO

Molecule processors
- devices which can change chemical composition of a planet
- changing chemical composition of a planet adjusting it to desirable composition (terraforming)
NO

Those are "standard" buildings. Their names can change. Now, we are searching for uncommon buildings, like

Space Lift
- Lift from ground to the orbit, capable of delivering objects, people etc
- Speeds up (by lowering cost) production made in orbit. ( production spaceships in spacedock, or building other orbital facilities )
NO

Any ideas?

(Thank you TEL for inspiration)
M.O.R.E. under construction

Asmodan
Hearty Supporter

Re: Buildings

Postby Asmodan » Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:30 pm

First of all, please visualize the buildings like MoO2 did. I want to see my colony growing. :)

One building I would add is:

Long Range Scanners

Detect ships and command ships (change direction midflight) which are outside the system

Obvious from the description. Additionally, the defending fleet in the system could get a bonus on targeting the enemy.

NO

Haji
Hearty Supporter

Postby Haji » Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:55 pm

Asteroid Mine
- A captured asteroid, one that was periodically closing on the planet and had it's orbit changed, with a mine built on the surface.
- It provides small bonus to mining and small bonus to ship construction (the idea being, that since it's very close to the shipyard, and already in space, the tranport costs for minerals are lowered)
No

Note: In another topic I asked about buildings being displayed in space. If you're going to do so, this is one of those that would be displayed.

Full range sattelite communication network
- Hundreds of sattelites in orbit faciliating planetary, interplanetary and interstellar communication on all avaiable bands.
- It provides wealth (GCU) bonus, may also increase command points if the network is both civilian and military. May also be split into two diffrent "buildings" one for civilian communication and one for military communication.
Yes (for civilian uses) / No (for military uses)

Deep Space Expedition
- A periodic expedition to the Oort cloud of the local star, in search of easily accessible minerals.
- Provides small boost to mining, may also provide small boost to research (by providing data on interstellar medium)
No

Tel
Ideas & Texts Creator

Postby Tel » Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:32 pm

nice ideas, I will add some more:

Underground complex
- living space
- increases max population capacity of a planet
NO

Underwater complex
- living space
- increases max population (only IF the planet has OCEANS]
NO

Orbital Rings
- an artificial ring one-two miles wide around the equator
- Doubles max population - allows for more defense installations and command points.
[VERY HARD to build - only for tiny small-normal sized planets and only if planet has space lift]
I see it as an end-game technology.
YES (doesn't work without max planet population)

Orbital farms
- produces food in totally controlled environment
- increases food output of planet (no matter the size or type)
NO

Quantum Physics Lab
- research facility
- increases research depending on planet pop/type
[meaning the more favorable the environment for your race, more bonus to research output]
YES

Particle accelerator
- research facility
- gives research points
NO

Haji
Hearty Supporter

Postby Haji » Thu Oct 11, 2012 3:55 am

There's something i'd like to talk about regarding the buildings, if that's okey in this topic.

When I play space-based 4x games, there is one thing that irritates me greatly in majority of them (MOO2 included). You see, supposedly I'm emperor of this vast and powerful space empire - and all my buildings are made on the surface of the platnet, with very few exceptions. In MOO2, for example, the only orbital installations were the starbase, minefiled and jump gate. That's all. Becouse of that I'm trying to mainly develop buildings that help the player to notice the scale of the system. Asteroids and oort cluod may not be visualised - but I'm trying to develop buildings that show the player that they are there, being exploited.

But that's just me. What do you think? Do you think we should have more orbital buildings, or go the MOO2 way of having majority of them on the planet itself?

Now, the second issue. How many buildings independent of population do you (we?) want. Do you want only few of them? Or do you want many of them, so even a poor, small planet can become productive member of the empire - if the empire in question have the money to pay for those highly automated and costly to run buildings.

And since we're already on that topic, I had a certain idea. How about we add another stat for a star system, measuring the number of small bodies, like asteroids (that aren't part of asteroid belts) and comets and then tied output of some buildings to that? That would mean, that even if system have only few, small, poor planets, those planets can become a hub of activity such as asteroid mining, farming and manufacturing. Sure, it would be more expensive (in upkeep) but it would also mean that star systems can be developed on one of two paths - planet quality (population, amount of resources) and star quality (like the beforementioned asteroid mines). And of course, few very luky and - most likely - very important systems could be developed both ways. Of course, the idea of just having buildings with output idependent of population is much simpler one and may be better. I'm not a game developer, so I'm not sure which option is the optimal one.

Sorry about that digression. I'm going back to topic.

First of Tel, I like your idea of ocean colonies. It's something rarely encountered in games. However, having aquatic (and subterrean) characteristic may be part of a race characteristic (like it was in MOO2) in which case I'm not sure if the game should include those buildings.

I also wanted to propose something similar to your ring idea, but on smaller scale. Hope you won't consider this a plagiarism.

O'Niell Cylinder / O'Niell swarm
- Each cylinder is rotating to provide artifical gravity, capable of housing millions of people, alongside industry.
- Increases population limit by small amount (similar to biospheres in MOO2). However, the building may be built multiple times (it may later turn into a ring made of O'Niell cylinders, like in Tel's idea).
No

Orbital manufactories / Orbital nanufactories (whethever you prafer)
- Some things can be made much easier - or stronger - in freefall, and putting them in orbit is much easier and cheaper than building zero-G devices on the surface of the planet
- Increases production
It may or may not depend on population, your choice.

Interplanetary trade network
- Back in the twentiefth century it was noted, that objects in LaGrange points were circling said point in a very usntable orbit, allowing the object to enter a new vector with very little energy required. This allows very cheap tranport inside star system. Unfortunately the very slow speed of the tranport limits it's use to minerals and certain manufactured goods. ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interplane ... rt_network )
- Increases money generated, may also increase production
Yes

Note: Certain limits may be put in place, for example, the network may become avaiable only if more than one planet in a star systems is colonised.

McKendree cylinder ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McKendree_cylinder )
- By gathering enormous amounts of asteroids and comets, it's possible to create a space habitat with more than ten percent of Earth's surface. However, since terrain in a habitat is fully customisable, it means it have as much capacity as a full-blown planet
- This is an alternative to turning asteroid fields into planets. It's more realisitic, it's something that haven't been seen in video games yet (at least as far as I'm aware) and making planets have been done to death, so I think it's time for something diffrent. ;)
No

Asmodan
Hearty Supporter

Postby Asmodan » Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:01 am

Some of those ideas sound very good. I get the feeling that especially the buildings concerning system wide improvements would fit perfectly into the planned dyson spheres.

In another thread we already talked about how important the home world should be. One option to strengthen the importance could be to have buildings which can only be built on your home world, e.g.

Spying Training Facility/Spying Headquarter

Trains your spies and gives you an advantage on missions (Q outfits you with the latest gear!)

Wodzu
Ideas & Texts Creator

Postby Wodzu » Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:11 pm

Alien Slavery Center:D (yes, do not look on me like that, it is just a game :P )

Facility that is somewhat opposite to the Alien Management Center from MOO2. It forces non-assimilated aliens from overtaken planet to very hard work.

Effects:
1. +50% increase in production generated by the alien population.
2. -25% of population growth due to minimal food rations and hard work. (this concerns only aliens which are not assimilated and are not from our race)
3. Mutually exclusive with Alien Management Center
Yes

Planetary Womb :D

Half mechanical - half biological womb which will takeover from mother the duty of baby growth in a womb. This will lead to possible gain in all areas becuase females will have more free time - pragnancy will be evolving in artificial womb.

Effects:
1. +5% of research or labor or food - depends on which field the colonists is working.
No

Planetary Tractor beam http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tractor_beam
Installed on a planet allows to slow or fully immobile an enemy ship. Which could later be captured.
Effects:
1.Depends of power of tracktor beam - it could catch biger and biger ships. However only one ship can be catched during battle becuase only one beam can be installed on a planet.
No

May Player
Ideas & Texts Creator

Postby May Player » Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:45 pm

Wodzu, yes, Alien Slavery Center is a good idea for enforcing empire law on conquered plantets. The only limitation I would place here is that it is allowed/accessible only for evil races. Otherwise how do you explain having democracy and slaves at the same time? ;)

Planetary Womb? - are you talking about Invitro sub-humans ;)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/In_Vitro

Planetary Tractor beam - I like this one. Have it a limited range, maybe half the distance between the planet and the ship entering the system. No bombardment can be done until the Tractor beam is disabled.

Calavero
Missle silos - yes, yes, yes! Have is way stronger (initially basic, but upgradable several times). Allow for race who would want to invest in defense and ie. missle defence, to fire even 100 missles at a time. To defeat such a planet, one would need to develope superb missle defence (anti-missle rockets, auto-defence lasers) or superb shields or superb jammers.
I am NOT saying make it cheap and available for anyone right away.

Asmodan
Hearty Supporter

Postby Asmodan » Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:22 pm

Slaves and democracy worked fine in the country which invented democracy. ;) It really depends on what kind of democracy.

May Player
Ideas & Texts Creator

Postby May Player » Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:28 pm

Asmodan wrote:Slaves and democracy worked fine in the country which invented democracy. ;) It really depends on what kind of democracy.

Perfectly sound idea ;), but if you are talking abount America, it worked only for a little while... that's why the Civil War happened:
"After four years of warfare, mostly within the Southern states, the Confederacy surrendered and slavery was abolished everywhere in the nation."

In any case, you are right, alien slavery could be available to all races (not only evil), but the happiness will suffer and maybe it could be a reason for creation splinter colonies?

Return to “Economy”