Re: Buildings

Postby Asmodan » Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:52 pm

I meant Greece not the States.

May Player
Ideas & Texts Creator

Postby May Player » Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:53 pm

and...
All of the buildings listed are interesting and useful.
All the buildings would fall into categories like:

Income –within empire / trading with aliens
Happiness – citizens / aliens
Research and development
Espionage / internal security
Population habitats
Food/nutriens production
Industrial/Construction capability
Military & Civilian ship production
Military defense - planet/colony/dyson sphere

Also:
1) Different building names for each race
(for example ‘Inteligence Agency’ training spies for humans and ‘Seduction Study Chambers’ for Ameslarians etc.)

2) The same building names for all races
(for example ‘ Diplomatic Space Station’ or Basic Food-Production Field)

3) Race-specific buildings
( for example Battleship hatchery’ for a race growing biological ships, ‘Diamond Queen chambers’ for Myrmecians or ‘Punishement Square’ for Brutas….)

xThomas

Postby xThomas » Sat Oct 13, 2012 9:04 pm

Streamlined post: Here is how I want buildings to be jandled.

I am the ruler of a big American Republic with dozens of worlds and systems. I'm at peace. All of a sudden the Nazis in Space declare all out war on me. Now there are several problems with many games, ie civilization 2 and moo2, as related to your reaction in your building.
1. You can't select more than one place at a time, and you need to have an option to allow you to strategically assess the map at the same time when building.
Why this is a problem: First, I want to be able to select several worlds at once at any time (with filters saying high population, agricultural, manufacturing, military base or research worlds only), in case of war or some major breakthrough. Moo2 and Civ2 make you go through dozens of screens if you have anything approaching a reasonable amount of colonies to build these new breakthroughs.
Second, When building or deciding what to build, something I need to do is is strategically assess the map. If I were allowed to have filters showing me the known world's following
- high manufacturing centers with a factory symbol, my agricultural and developmental areas with wheat, my enemy in red, civilizations I'm neutral with in gray, allies in yellow, and me in blue, my fleets, known ally, neutral and enemy fleets..
that would be so much easier on me, and that's just a small example :)
I'd also like to be able to define the manufacturing centers range and selection. So I could just select the enemy
2. You can't set a preset queue. I'm sure other games have fixed this oversight of course, but you have to deal with it in these.

I'm kinda torn on how I hope building is handled. On one side, I want a lot of variation and possibilities, like say to build a missle base or a sattelite network. On the other side, I need streamlined use. Too much possibility, things to do, turns the game into a tedious mess, while too much streamlining sidelines the target market (Which is bad, mkay?)

ALRIGHT, I've thought of an example that has long been my wish. Civilization 2 or Alpha Centauri.
I am playing as the Americans, I have this nice big Republic. Been at peace with the world for years, and all of a sudden, the Romans declare war on me! Now I have to switch my 30 cities or so to produce wartime armanents by clicking each city and then setting the queue for it. If I could have selected by type, like say, by manufacturing capability and enemy proximity, I would have immediately set the borders onto making things like infantry, and inner cities into tanks and planes. Cities that are neither near the enemy nor have much manufacturing ability would have become recruiting centers for the infantry and engineer corps. But since I can't select by filters, I have to do this city by city. I mean, I can look at a map and see for myself, but since I can neither filter my selection nor select several cities at once I have to go through dozens and dozens of screens.
Last edited by xThomas on Sat Oct 13, 2012 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

May Player
Ideas & Texts Creator

Postby May Player » Sat Oct 13, 2012 9:30 pm

xThomas, I think the devs have plans for it already as they outlined somewhewe in the initial presentation...close-by colonies would merge into bigger management units easy to control. After all - in this game we will be able to have up to 1500 star systems..
This will solve a lot of micromanagement. ;)

xThomas

Postby xThomas » Sat Oct 13, 2012 9:38 pm

Ahh, missed that May Player. I got caught up in my post a little, but you got the gist.

Wodzu
Ideas & Texts Creator

Postby Wodzu » Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:25 pm

xTomas made a good points. Such filters and one building assigment to all selected planets /system is very good feature.

As far as I remeber Moo2 had a simple fliters or altleast sorting via different categories. So beeing on a sceen where you saw every planet, you can go quickly from that screen and assign a building for production. I think it took me like one minute per 20 planets to switch to production of newly discovered building:)

With multiselect and assigment one buliding to many planets that could take 3 seconds:)

I think this feature should be implemented regardless the existance of dyson spheres:)

Calavero
Site Admin

Postby Calavero » Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:25 pm

Yes we will have something like that in M.O.R.E. :)

Do you have any other ideas for new buildings?
M.O.R.E. under construction

May Player
Ideas & Texts Creator

Postby May Player » Sun Oct 14, 2012 11:54 pm

In the colony management screen, allow to see a list of what was constructed and delete whatever is not needed anymore (or upgrade the old buildings, or consolidate several identical old buildings into a new and more effective one)

Haji
Hearty Supporter

Postby Haji » Mon Oct 15, 2012 3:43 am

Deep Space Gravitational Survey (note: the name may be different, i don't know lore behind MORE's FTL drive)
- Scientific expeditions launched into near interstellar space with the purpose of providing detailed gravitational information.
- All friendly ships approaching this star will have bonus movement points. May also provide research. One per system.
No

Solar Weather Satellites
- A vast collection of satellites providing information about solar weather improving both communication and inetrplanetary transit
- Provides small bonus to wealth for all planets in the system. One 'building' per system.
Yes

Tel
Ideas & Texts Creator

Postby Tel » Mon Oct 15, 2012 5:24 pm

another cool building would be an alternate version of the "Fighter Base" in MoO2
(if the game uses fighters in combat)
Space Rangers Corps
- semi-governmental oranization training civilians as fighter pilots, funded by para-military elements.
- a number of fighters with advanced combat stats (better than the current official tech-level) defend the system when there's an invasion.
Yes (from 1 to XX? fighters every combat turn, depending on planet population - and maybe other factors like type of Gov.)

Return to “Economy”