How many iterations of buildings shall we have?

Calavero
Site Admin

How many iterations of buildings shall we have?

Postby Calavero » Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:40 am

We are wondering what do you think about multiplying some of the buildings. E.g. Autolab.... can something like this be multiplied on 1 planet, or shall we stick to max one on a single planet?
M.O.R.E. under construction

GoranXII

Re: How many iterations of buildings shall we have?

Postby GoranXII » Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:46 am

What about 1 per planet, but you can assign extra people to work there to increase productivity (sort of like in Civilisation you could assign extra population 'heads' to work in non-production fields like science or entertainment)?

Wodzu
Ideas & Texts Creator

Postby Wodzu » Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:54 pm

I would stick to the one building per planet. I do not think that extending micromanagement in this way would bring some additional value to the gameplay.

Asmodan
Hearty Supporter

Postby Asmodan » Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:49 pm

Just building one kind of a building several times sounds boring to me. What about having upgradable buildings? It depends on what you want to do with the graphics but I would like to see a research complex which becomes huge after adding some new structures to it instead of having the same buildings several times in a row.

Tel
Ideas & Texts Creator

Postby Tel » Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:51 pm

yes, 1 building per planet is more than enough
(actually every building is a representation of your ability to have its bonus, otherwise it must be an unlimited number of buildings - thousands)

now, you can have upgrades of a building (through research) - something like:
Standard Research facility - Medium Research facility - Advanced Research facility - Science Laboratory - AI Research Labs.
Standard Factory - Medium Factory - Advanced Factory - Ultra Automated facility - Robotic Factory.
- I think no more than five for each type is balanced.
- also I think only 2 or 3 should have population bonus.

so 5 building for food / 5 for research / 5 for production / 5 for GCUs / 5 for hapiness = 25 in a standard list.
then are the military and special buildings both on planet and orbital (with more complex prerequisites, needs and behavior)...
...and don't forget the race-specific buildings, well... that's a lot of potential buildings.
-- finally, my point is: I don't see any need for iterations when there are so many original and unique choices.

Asmodan
Hearty Supporter

Postby Asmodan » Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:54 pm

Tel wrote:yes, 1 building per planet is more than enough
(actually every building is a representation of your ability to have its bonus, otherwise it must be an unlimited number of buildings - thousands)

now, you can have upgrades of a building (through research) - something like:
Standard Research facility - Medium Research facility - Advanced Research facility - Science Laboratory - AI Research Labs.
Standard Factory - Medium Factory - Advanced Factory - Ultra Automated facility - Robotic Factory.
- I think no more than five for each type is balanced.
- also I think only 2 or 3 should have population bonus.

But that would only work if you can research every technology and so be able to develop the structures in that order. Did the devs already mention if they want research being done the same way MoO2 did it?

May Player
Ideas & Texts Creator

Postby May Player » Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:08 pm

As Tel wrote:
"yes, 1 building per planet is more than enough (actually every building is a representation of your ability to have its bonus, otherwise it must be an unlimited number of buildings - thousands)"

I think you got it right here. Each building is just a representaion of capability not any actual number as on any planet; milions of such buildings could be physically build.

I think it should be linked to two things:
1) reseach - tech to be allowed to build specific building
2) money - allow almost unlimited 'upgrades' to any building. Unlimited does not mean easily possible! ;)

It's all about money after all...
for entire empire income per turn of ie. 1000 credits the structure like this:
- upgrade #1 - 10,000
- upgrade #2 - 100,000
- upgrade #3 - 1,000,000
- upgrade #4 - 10,000,000
- upgrade #5 - 100,000,000
and so on..

What I mean - PLEASE, make it possible, but not easily achievable!

If ALL is about money, credits etc, then there are ALWAYS so many things (ships, upgrades, colonies, spies etc) to spend the LIMITED funds on.. it would FORCE the player to be very, very careful on what to spend the money for.
Yes, upgrade #3 is there, available and waiting, BUT.. do you spend the 1,000,000 on that upgrade or on building a battlestation to protect colony #5??? Hmmmmm It's sooo easy to get bancrupt and fail!

I would love to see, future-Emperors failing because of simple money-management issue.
As I recall from Earth history; all the dominating empires in the history of the human race have failed because of inability to manage money well! :)

This kind of decision making I would like to see in M.O.R.E. :)

Tiberius

Postby Tiberius » Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:11 pm

It depends on what you mean by iterations. If you mean to build the same building multiple times to get multiple effects, that sounds tedious.

On the other hand, it's a good idea to have more buildings become avaialable as your civilization gets more advanced. It's perfectly ok if they gave the same TYPE of bonus as a previous building, but the effect stacks and is greater for the more advnaced version.

Haji
Hearty Supporter

Postby Haji » Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:34 pm

I don't think we need one hard rule for all the buildings. Some of them may be built once while some of them may be built multiple times, depending on role and lore.

May Player
Ideas & Texts Creator

Postby May Player » Fri Oct 12, 2012 6:33 am

This is an EXAMPLE of Research buildings iterations and upgrades:

Build First Research Station:

①①
①①①
①①①①
①①①①①
Consolidate into Science Lab

Build next Science Labs:
②②
②②②
②②②②
②②②②②
Consolidate into Science Institute

Build next Science Institutes:
③③
③③③
③③③③
③③③③③
Consolidate into University

Build next Universities:
④④
④④④
④④④④
④④④④④
Final Consolidation into Research Corp Level I:

Corp level upgrades are GIGANTIC steps, which could take entire game and beyond.
Upgrade to Level II:

Upgrade to Corp Level III:

Upgrade to Corp Level IV:

Upgrade to Corp Level V:

Upgrade to Corp Level VI:

Upgrade to Level VII:

Similar structure can be applied to:
Industry
Agriculture
Banking/Trade
Espionage

Return to “Economy”