what money can buy

knightdt
Ideas & Texts Creator

Re: what money can buy

Postby knightdt » Fri Feb 22, 2013 6:45 am

I promise, when I stop being human I will be sure to share my non-human perspective and we can all be enlightened --- but only if you promise to do the same.

Deal?

May Player
Ideas & Texts Creator

Postby May Player » Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:37 pm

Haha! It's really funny :D
As I can't stop being Human, I can use my imagination to be an alien.
Especially in a game like this where we are not forced to be Human only..

VenomStorm
Ideas & Texts Creator

Postby VenomStorm » Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:05 pm

I think the more important element of this discussion is game mechanics. The idea that you can instant build a massive fleet or a whole colony in one turn is game breaking like knight said. I like having the ability to produce one ship or one building in an emergency that may or may not stave off defeat. A player should be rewarded for planning and scouting their opponent. They should not be punished for attacking an undefended or lightly defended planet by suddenly facing a large defense force. Likewise, the player being attacked should not be rewarded for not building a fleet (and thus avoiding upkeep penalties) and then spontaneously producing a savior fleet in the knick of time.

To Mayplayer's point about different races, maybe there could be a racial trait that allows the race to rush build 2 items (ships, buildings, space stations etc.) per planet per turn. this trait could cost a lot, maybe 6 points using the MoO scale.

May Player
Ideas & Texts Creator

Postby May Player » Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:52 am

@Venom - I think we all are roughly talking about the same thing; we want te game to be balanced and enjoyable for all. The game is in sci-fi environment, many races are there and most are really not human.

Yes, I want the game to be balanced. If I read the devs presentation well, it will be extremely difficult to grow your empire to be HUGE. It won't be easy to do anything. This is good. Accumulating Credits will NOT be easy as well. As such, we might have the ability to build things in ONE turn (which could be 10-20 rotations around the sun for the people living in such'n'such system), or buy the things from other sources in ONE turn, but focus on this - we most likely will NOT be able to easily accumulate credits to just buy or speed-up production etc. as a result, no credits = no quick attaining things like ships.
This is the way I see it and hope the devs will keep their initial promises re this. It will NOT be easy to just grow,grow and accumulate endless amounts of credits.

It's educational to read the presentations released by IdealCentre. Really.

VenomStorm
Ideas & Texts Creator

Postby VenomStorm » Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:46 am

I have watched the presentations as well and that's what makes me excited about the game. I'm not trying to argue with you, I just don't think having the ability to insta build a lot of ships at once is balanced for the actual game play. I couldn't care less if each turn is considered a month, a year, or 50 years. The point is IRL it will still be ONE turn and I don't think it would make for good gameplay.

I agree with you that money will probably be difficult to accumulate in massive amounts, but there should still be safeguards built into the game so that one guy who figures out an awesome build to build up tons of cash cannot exploit it.

May Player
Ideas & Texts Creator

Postby May Player » Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:07 am

Aaaaaa, now I get it. You are talking about exploits of the workings of the game itself. Well, patches for the game are released exactly for this purpose. I've never really played a strategy game which did not have faults. They all have faults and the devs release patches to fix them. :D

VenomStorm
Ideas & Texts Creator

Postby VenomStorm » Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:34 pm

Lol May. Yes that's what I was talking about. Sorry for the confusion. I know strategy games will have their flaws and exploits but I was hoping to point out a potential flaw earlier in the process.

It always amazes me how creative people are and the ridiculous exploits they are able to create or find in games. Most are things I never would have thought of or realized I could do within the current rules.

May Player
Ideas & Texts Creator

Postby May Player » Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:14 am

Yes, that also blows mind mind how creative people can be. Have a 10m tall wall to protect your empire, but leave a tiny hole somewhere and they will find it. It's like some sort of magical, slippery rats. They find it chew through it :D

Return to “Economy”