Visual Trade Lanes

JPTS
Ideas & Texts Creator

Re: Visual Trade Lanes

Postby JPTS » Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:15 pm

MoO2 did it well, as long as the colors of neighbours were not similar. But can we do the same in MORE? I think the stars will have their own colors.

May Player
Ideas & Texts Creator

Postby May Player » Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:15 am

I agree with having some kind of borders, but i think it has more to do with spheres of influence, rather than actual borders.

In space there are no natural borders per say, space is just so huge, planets are tiny like little specks of dust in an ocean of empty space. No any real borders. It's probably more like sensor range or how quickly defending fleet can fly to a colony or outpost to actually defend it. If one empire says 'our borders are 100 ly around our systems', but cannot actually, physically quickly defend the claimed area, then the border claim is just a fake! In situation like this the border is actually around each star system, not collection of star systems separated by many light years of empty space.

In my opinion borders in space do not exist. Spheres of influence - yes. Sensor ranges - yes.

In peace time empires can draw a line in space and theoretically divide region of our galaxy. In war time any of the previously divided space is there for the taking for anyone who has enough ships to protect the systems it wants to grab.

I really wish M.O.R.E. will provide the sense of real space and how large it is.
(Just imagine a new colony in space is like a sunflower seed placed in soil. If you live in Poland near the mountains in a little town which is your 'Empire' right now, then you find the means to send a colonist to a little town in the Rocky Mountains in western Canada and PLANT your seed near a small creek there.. This is your new Colony. How easy it would be to protect the new Colony and claim all the space in between these two places as 'yours'. Want borders? How are you going to defend your 'borders'???)

JPTS
Ideas & Texts Creator

Postby JPTS » Mon Dec 03, 2012 4:40 pm

You are right. I didn´t express myself correctly.

I was not thinking of borders, but of something that could show us where each empire is and what territory they would consider as theirs.

Maybe the colors should fade with distance so that there is no specific limit.

Tel
Ideas & Texts Creator

Postby Tel » Mon Dec 03, 2012 4:49 pm

I'm happy seeing just each empire's colors in their stars, outposts and bases, and the beautiful space in between...
now if pressing a button I can see also sensor ranges or enemy fleet ranges or whatever influences trade etc the game has, it's better, but not all the time.
I like my space black :lol:

May Player
Ideas & Texts Creator

Postby May Player » Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:53 pm

I guess it's all about implementing filters of all sorts. By default the space is black and planets are as they are, then as Tel said, by clicking a fileter button we could see ie. sensor range, fuel support range, influence, trade etc etc

knightdt
Ideas & Texts Creator

Postby knightdt » Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:46 am

I would like to have the ability to define a "Neutral Zone" for obvious (think Star Trek) reasons...

As long as there are empires, there will need to be borders.

JPTS
Ideas & Texts Creator

Postby JPTS » Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:08 am

Tel wrote:I'm happy seeing just each empire's colors in their stars, outposts and bases, and the beautiful space in between...
now if pressing a button I can see also sensor ranges or enemy fleet ranges or whatever influences trade etc the game has, it's better, but not all the time.
I like my space black :lol:

This would work well with espionage. You get the information and find out the enemy range. But with counter espionage they could send false information too. Imagine moving some ships near enemy territory and being attacked by a large fleet "beyond their fleet range"...

May Player
Ideas & Texts Creator

Postby May Player » Thu Dec 06, 2012 7:14 pm

I'm curious if we will be able to move ships to the middle of space and not just from system to system. In case like this a fleet could be moved to the blackness of space and just wait. Surprise attacks could be a nice addition to the strategy.
I like my space black ;)

Brasidas2000

Postby Brasidas2000 » Fri Jan 09, 2015 5:15 am

I think it would be an enhancement to have a visual telltale to trade routes as proposed. It would also IMO, be considered an enhancement to allow players to assign task forces to interdiction/privateering missions both inside other player's territories, or within unclaimed space, with commensurate risk for detection/interception based on the size/detectability of a given ship, and the capability of the hunting ship's sensors, in addition to any potential interception capability based on ability to generate a positive closure rate before a merchantman could attain a safe haven once an intercept is attempted. This could also be modified by crew experience, racial modifiers, and player espionage missions that support interdiction (intel gained on schedules/frequency of a route), as well as any technical training standard a merchant spacer uses as a standard.

Return to “Economy”