Different economic models?

Teleros
Ideas & Texts Creator
Posts: 625
Joined: Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:18 pm
Location: United Kingdom

Different economic models?

Postby Teleros » Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:02 am

Now, I know probably all the posters here lovingly remember MOO2 and the micromanagement it had, but... here's a thought: should players be able to set up micromanagement levels through economic policies for their nation? For example:

  • Laissez-Faire Economics: Non-military colony improvements build themselves according to a hidden preference system (eg "colony is tight for food, build a hydroponics farm for future pop growth", or "let's make money! Build a stock exchange!"). Even moderately high taxes (20%+ say) cause unhappiness and the like though.
  • Capitalist Economics: More or less like MOO2, but colonies also build their own stuff in the background. So you can come along & order a new auto-factory, but the AI will keep building that hydroponics farm as this goes on. Moderate taxes are okay for this system.
  • Socialist Economics: MOO2, with high taxes required: since you're building everything, private industry doesn't need the money to build it itself.
  • Totalitarian Economics: For real micromanagement lovers. God only knows how this would work vs Socialist Economics though :P .

There could also be other benefits / penalties: for example, a laissez-faire economy will happily accept hard-working immigrants (eg 19th Century USA), but also be more open to enemy spies, tech theft missions etc. Population and economic growth will probably also be higher, on the basis that people are doing their own thing and don't care much what their government (ie you) say. However, a laissez-faire economy is not good in a war (no money for warships), and people will get unhappy in a dictatorship because they're used to so much freedom. It'll do great as a peace-making faction though (money > war), a trading faction, and in the very end game its economic output will let it handle wars well due to sheer economic growth. Assuming it survives to the end game, of course.
Clear ether!

MetalKid
Ideas & Texts Creator
Posts: 130
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2012 1:14 pm
Location: Wisconsin, USA
Contact:

Re: Different economic models?

Postby MetalKid » Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:31 pm

Personally, I would love the ability to create different "build trees". These are the buildings I want to build in this order to have this outcome. Then you can assign each colony the Build Tree you want and it'll go do it. An even better version of this tree would almost be a programmable one. Based upon different states of the planet, you would build one thing vs. another. You could even just have one tree and then say if planet has research bonus, then do this set of things. if the pop is max, do this for now, etc. The people that like to micromanage could simply ignore this feature or use it and then make manual changes. For the rest of us that want to focus on other things, we could get something general created that meets our needs and refine them overtime.

Teleros
Ideas & Texts Creator
Posts: 625
Joined: Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:18 pm
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Different economic models?

Postby Teleros » Mon Mar 04, 2013 4:06 pm

MetalKid wrote:You could even just have one tree and then say if planet has research bonus, then do this set of things.

This is basically what I'm thinking for the laissez-faire model's hidden preference system.

MetalKid wrote:For the rest of us that want to focus on other things, we could get something general created that meets our needs and refine them overtime.

Exactly. My method above wouldn't eliminate micromanagement: the government (ie player) still needs to build space defences, barracks and such, and in a crisis may have to intervene as well (eg speed farm production after spies sabotage the existing one & people are in danger of starving).

For a laissez-faire economy though, I'd imagine the viable* build list being basically limited to defensive structures, whilst the colonists do their own thing WRT industry, research etc. So you found a new colony, set a build queue for defences, and then that colony is basically done until (1) the queue is done & other defensive buildings can be built now, (2) you want to build spaceships etc, or (3) a spy / disaster / other event requires you to fix whatever happened.

On the other hand, in the socialist economic model, you found a colony and have to do the build queue for everything: farms, industry, defences, the works. Compared to laissez-faire it's micro-intensive, BUT it's also more efficient if you have particular goals (eg "I want a research planet up and running yesterday!").



* Viable build list: the things your government can actually afford to build. Low taxes = smaller viable build list.
Clear ether!

ANGLVD3TH
Posts: 81
Joined: Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:31 am

Re: Different economic models?

Postby ANGLVD3TH » Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:00 am

MetalKid wrote:Personally, I would love the ability to create different "build trees". These are the buildings I want to build in this order to have this outcome. Then you can assign each colony the Build Tree you want and it'll go do it. An even better version of this tree would almost be a programmable one. Based upon different states of the planet, you would build one thing vs. another. You could even just have one tree and then say if planet has research bonus, then do this set of things. if the pop is max, do this for now, etc. The people that like to micromanage could simply ignore this feature or use it and then make manual changes. For the rest of us that want to focus on other things, we could get something general created that meets our needs and refine them overtime.

I like this, a lot. Why has this never been done? :shock:
And with the game having a convenient filter of "food colony" "cash colony" "war colony" etc, could set a premade tree for each colony type. I want cash colonies to build A,B,C buildings each time. Then later you might add a new tree for cash, and decide between the two each time you settle one.


Return to “Economy”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests