"Ongoing" production and simultaneous production

Kantilein

"Ongoing" production and simultaneous production

Postby Kantilein » Fri May 03, 2013 4:19 am

Hello,

i didn't find something about this:
In "Birth of the Federation", u can only build ONE thing per round, no matter how much production points it needs.
For example, if you want to build 10 factories that cost 100 production points each on a planet that has 500 production points per round, you need 10 rounds. Only one factory is finnished per round and 400 production points are vasted.

In "Space Empires 5" you can produce as much things as your planet has production points.
For example, if you want to build 10 factories that cost 100 production points each on a planet that has 500 production points per round, you need 2 rounds.

I prefere the second way, because it minimize micromanagement. In Botf i needed to check every system to put the "vasted" workers in labs or intelligence centers. I am not sure how it was in MoO2, but i think it was more the SE5 way..
How is this planned to be made in M.O.R.E.?

In most 4x games you can produce only one thing in a city or on a planet at the same time. (You can only build a factory OR a Super Star Destroyer at the same time on a planet). So the single project is so expensive and difficult, that the planet needs all its ressources to create the building, ship or wathever.
Another opportunity would be to produce different things at the same time on a planet, maybe depending on its industrial strength or on its facilitys. Many million people could be able to build a factory on the ground and ships in the space yards at the same time (Maybe depending on how many space yards the planet has). In Star Trek the Utopia Planitia Yards seems to produce many ships at the same time for example.
I like both ways, because both can be explained somehow logically and both ways have there advantages.
How is this planned to be made in M.O.R.E.?

When there is something about it written at another place in the forum, just tell me were i can find it.

Thank you :-)
Kantilein

JPTS
Ideas & Texts Creator

Re: "Ongoing" production and simultaneous production

Postby JPTS » Fri May 03, 2013 6:18 pm

I prefer the second way too. In fact, you could choose either way in SE5, right?

And there is something important to consider: if you build, for example, 10 dreadnoughts, one at a time, you will have to pay maintenance (or consume command points) until the last one is ready. But if you produce 10 at the same time, you will not pay for them until they are ready.

It would be a choice between saving money/command points or having the ships available. The first option is better if you are planning to use the ships to attack someone, for example.

VenomStorm
Ideas & Texts Creator

Postby VenomStorm » Wed May 15, 2013 1:17 am

I'd like to at least be able to build a building on the ground and a ship in space. Maybe the ship would require a shipyard or something, but the option would be nice.

Teleros
Ideas & Texts Creator

Postby Teleros » Wed May 15, 2013 10:06 am

Don't see why you can't have both systems TBH:

1. Colonies build 1 building at a time, classic MOO2-style.
2. Each shipyard builds 1 ship at a time (separate build queue to buildings), and you can build multiple shipyards.
Clear ether!

VenomStorm
Ideas & Texts Creator

Postby VenomStorm » Wed May 15, 2013 10:57 pm

That's exactly what I meant Tel. Completely agree.

Merlex

Postby Merlex » Fri May 17, 2013 1:48 am

Teleros wrote:Don't see why you can't have both systems TBH:

1. Colonies build 1 building at a time, classic MOO2-style.
2. Each shipyard builds 1 ship at a time (separate build queue to buildings), and you can build multiple shipyards.

Perfect
Gold Digital Supporter

Teleros
Ideas & Texts Creator

Postby Teleros » Fri May 17, 2013 12:33 pm

Also of course leads to some interesting decisions for colony management: do you build the hydroponics farm, or shipyard #5?

Some other thoughts:

1. The ability to specifically destroy shipyards in orbital battles / sieges. In MOO2 if you want to cripple a planet's warship production you had to bomb it to oblivion and take out their starbase (and people don't like that). However, if you just had to destroy the starbase, and left the groundside stuff untouched, it should be treated as less bad by the AI (after all, only a few thousand shipyard workers died vs millions of colonists, etc). Trash the enemy's fleet, trash their shipyards, then cable them your peace treaty demands with an "or we bomb planets" bit at the end.

2. How to tie production on the colony to production in the shipyards? Obviously a 1pop planet couldn't realistically support a dozen shipyards, but equally I don't think you want your dozen shipyards leeching a giant chunk of your planet's industrial output to work properly. My first thought is that each shipyard requires 1 pop to run at full efficiency, maybe with tech research letting you support 2 or even 3 with 1 pop. A sliding scale or +/- buttons could be used to assign pops to it, unless you want a separate employment option (ie farmers, workers, scientists, ship builders). Other options... a simple monetary cost, which automatically adjusts based on the planet's total pop: 1pop worlds with a dozen shipyards cost lots of money per shipyard, but 30pop worlds with a dozen shipyards are much cheaper.
Clear ether!

Belisarius
Hearty Supporter

Postby Belisarius » Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:04 pm

One game, I am not sure which one it was, I think MoO3,
had its building queues compartimented into a civilian and military queue.
With other words, you could produce civilian (planetary) improvements at the same time as military (spaceships).

The most realistic appproach would probably be, that you have a variable number of queues (with other words, you are the one who tells the computer how many tasks you want on your planet to be performed) and to each queue you assign a number of factories (or production points/turn).

For example:
Your planet produces 20 production point s per turn.
You tell the governor to assign 10 prouction points to Queue A (which has in its queue 1. Star Destroyer, 2. 3 ATATs )
5 production points to queue B (which only contains a new village)
and a further 5 production points to queue C (which has 1. Tie Figher Quadron, 2. Tie Bomber Squadron, 3. 6 ATST-Walkers)

You could however also decide to divide the production points say:
2 Production points each into 10 queues, each of them having 1. Tie Bomber Suqadron, 2. Tie Figher Squadron. 3. 4 ATATs

To have some automation in this process helping you, you could also be able to tell the computer what to do, if one queue has production points remaining after its last item has finished (with things like: "Just inform me", "Automatically divide among the remaining queues (and dissolve the now empty queue)" or "Automatically put a new Item (which I now tell you) at the end of the queue")

MetalKid
Ideas & Texts Creator

Postby MetalKid » Wed Jun 12, 2013 2:06 pm

Splitting your production is something that is never going to help you. It is far better to put all your production into 1 item and get that done and move to the next than to split it and get 2 things done later. The amount of time used will be the same, but you'll have something to show for it in half the time.

However, some people like that choice. It would probably be easiest to just have building and military queues and then just have sliders for the planet that allow you to focus your production points as a percentage from one to the other.

Return to “Economy”