Tech affecting initiative

Thangulhad
Ideas & Texts Creator

Tech affecting initiative

Postby Thangulhad » Sat Sep 15, 2012 1:07 pm

I wonder if tech will be created to affect initiative? Such as the computer tech tree.

This may or may not occur, as recall, beings are actually operating the ship themselves.
-Thangulhad

May Player
Ideas & Texts Creator

Re: Tech affecting initiative

Postby May Player » Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:06 am

Could you elaborate?

Thangulhad
Ideas & Texts Creator

Postby Thangulhad » Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:50 am

May Player wrote:Could you elaborate?

Well Mayplayer, there are just two choices here. You did see that there will be a planned initiative system for space combat first off. My question was will tech affect it in any way? Choice 1 is that since beings are operating the ship, they effectively control it, thereby meaning a flat initiative, meaning regardless of tech, it is a flat roll for both sides. Choice 2 is that tech indeed will affect intiative, giving an advantage to the race with the superior tech. If you recall from MoO2, being able to go first was often a key advantage, thus if there will be tech allowing for boosted initiative, it will be invaluable.
-Thangulhad

May Player
Ideas & Texts Creator

Postby May Player » Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:27 pm

Well, Thangulhad, certain techs probably could improve the initiative (implants, faster computers), but I think there is a better approach to improve this. What I would do - increase the sturdiness of ships and decrease the weapons damage. This way it will not matter who shoots first because it won't decide the outcome.
Maybe you remember the BORG from StarTrek series? Did not matter if you shot them first or not, they would regenerate or switch to backup systems, whatever.
Also, it would allow for really strategic thinking on how to equip ships to defeat certain race's defenses. Not just one, big Mass Driver turret to kill everything.. ;)

Cruxador
Hearty Supporter

Postby Cruxador » Wed Sep 19, 2012 12:13 am

Thangulhad wrote:
May Player wrote:Could you elaborate?

Well Mayplayer, there are just two choices here. You did see that there will be a planned initiative system for space combat first off. My question was will tech affect it in any way? Choice 1 is that since beings are operating the ship, they effectively control it, thereby meaning a flat initiative, meaning regardless of tech, it is a flat roll for both sides. Choice 2 is that tech indeed will affect intiative, giving an advantage to the race with the superior tech. If you recall from MoO2, being able to go first was often a key advantage, thus if there will be tech allowing for boosted initiative, it will be invaluable.

Well it would make some sense to have a few techs that boost it, and I think that's a good idea. But your notion of it being "crew-based" is a good one too - consider that in some games units can level up. In a space game, most of the unit's abilities are based on ship hardware so it doesn't make sense for them to change, but initiative is a great thing to increase like that.
May Player wrote:Well, Thangulhad, certain techs probably could improve the initiative (implants, faster computers), but I think there is a better approach to improve this. What I would do - increase the sturdiness of ships and decrease the weapons damage. This way it will not matter who shoots first because it won't decide the outcome.
That would make battles wear on long enough to get boring, though.

May Player
Ideas & Texts Creator

Postby May Player » Wed Sep 19, 2012 12:29 am

I'm not taking about going to the extremes with this and have the ships keep pounding each other for ever and nothing happens. It's more like not allowing just one shot or two to destroy entire ship of the same class. Different classes of ships; sure.

Tel
Ideas & Texts Creator

Postby Tel » Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:40 pm

Let's just wait and see, those things need playtesting. For example, heavy weapons usually take longer to aim, calibrate and fire, so you might want to give different initiative for EACH WEAPON SYSTEM ON THE SAME SHIP, so possibly in theory the auto-fire small weapons (if there are) go first, then missiles, then heavy cannons or mass-drivers, depending on tech level, ship class, crew experience e.t.c. (more realistic) OR you add all that and find the average ship initiative and fire ship after ship. I vote for more realistic (with common sense as a rule) but that needs to be proven in playtesting.

Cruxador
Hearty Supporter

Postby Cruxador » Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:04 pm

May Player wrote:I'm not taking about going to the extremes with this and have the ships keep pounding each other for ever and nothing happens. It's more like not allowing just one shot or two to destroy entire ship of the same class. Different classes of ships; sure.

Remember that chances are in a big war on a big map we'll likely be resolving several tactical battles a turn.Adding even a couple more turns beyond what you absolutely need to is a bad thing.
Tel wrote:Let's just wait and see, those things need playtesting. For example, heavy weapons usually take longer to aim, calibrate and fire, so you might want to give different initiative for EACH WEAPON SYSTEM ON THE SAME SHIP, so possibly in theory the auto-fire small weapons (if there are) go first, then missiles, then heavy cannons or mass-drivers, depending on tech level, ship class, crew experience e.t.c. (more realistic) OR you add all that and find the average ship initiative and fire ship after ship. I vote for more realistic (with common sense as a rule) but that needs to be proven in playtesting.

That sounds awesome in theory, but it seems to detailed for the tactical battles of a strategy game to me.

Tel
Ideas & Texts Creator

Postby Tel » Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:32 pm

yes, for some players it would take too long - and for this maybe it's not necessary - but it could also be set as an option:
Combat Initiative:
Normal (by ship)
Hard Core (by ship system)
Chance (random)
None (not recommended)

Return to “Technology”