Status of current M.O.R.E. development

All about our classic space strategy turn game.
VoodooDog
Posts: 208
Joined: Mon Dec 24, 2012 9:26 am

Re: Status of current M.O.R.E. development

Postby VoodooDog » Sat Aug 05, 2017 6:42 pm

An Apple is round. A Baby dog isnt. Easy to compare eh

Grotesque
Posts: 95
Joined: Mon Nov 10, 2014 11:30 pm

Re: Status of current M.O.R.E. development

Postby Grotesque » Sun Aug 06, 2017 8:06 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxSXnfbo-AA&t=316s

^Battlestar Galactica : Deadlock

What can MORE emulate and learn from this game's combat design?
It looks really neat, especially from an UI artistic direction

Eruditio
Hearty Supporter
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:13 pm

Re: Status of current M.O.R.E. development

Postby Eruditio » Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:30 am

VoodooDog wrote:An Apple is round. A Baby dog isnt. Easy to compare eh


Yes, easy. If you want to make a trite comparison, nobody will stop you. You're technically correct and perhaps this would even be a useful observation in the right context.

I think what you originally said was that M.O.R.E. won't and can't be compared to Stellaris. I'm interested as to why you think this is a sensible thing to say. They obviously hit similar target audiences, and within the bounds of "video games" they're relatively similar. They're both based in space, they're both at least 4X-like (not exactly 4X in the case of Stellaris, but it certainly has 4X elements and crosses the boundary between 4X and grand strategy), they both engage the player in managing a space civilisation etc. I'm sure they both play off of similar sci-fi tropes in some areas of gameplay, too.

One can easily compare all the usual gameplay elements for two games that fall into very similar genres. People will do it for Master of Orion, they'll do it for GalCiv, they'll do it for Endless Space, and they'll most certainly do it for M.O.R.E. if and when it becomes possible to make such a comparison.

I don't think it's useful to just cast M.O.R.E. away from this comparison. Indeed, it would be disservice to the creators not to. I believe they want it to be compared to the space 4X classics (or classic, depending on your opinion) and "break the mould". Whether or not I believe they'll achieve this is another matter.

cosmos
Posts: 3
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2014 8:03 pm

Re: Status of current M.O.R.E. development

Postby cosmos » Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:00 am

Grotesque wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxSXnfbo-AA&t=316s

^Battlestar Galactica : Deadlock

What can MORE emulate and learn from this game's combat design?
It looks really neat, especially from an UI artistic direction


Yeah, simultaneous turns are the great concept. I like it very much in Star Hammer: The Vanguard Prophecy.
However, I believe that I GO-You GO concept cannot be simply adapted to simultaneous turns.

VoodooDog
Posts: 208
Joined: Mon Dec 24, 2012 9:26 am

Re: Status of current M.O.R.E. development

Postby VoodooDog » Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:00 am

Eruditio wrote:
VoodooDog wrote:An Apple is round. A Baby dog isnt. Easy to compare eh


Yes, easy. If you want to make a trite comparison, nobody will stop you. You're technically correct and perhaps this would even be a useful observation in the right context.

I think what you originally said was that M.O.R.E. won't and can't be compared to Stellaris. I'm interested as to why you think this is a sensible thing to say. They obviously hit similar target audiences, and within the bounds of "video games" they're relatively similar. They're both based in space, they're both at least 4X-like (not exactly 4X in the case of Stellaris, but it certainly has 4X elements and crosses the boundary between 4X and grand strategy), they both engage the player in managing a space civilisation etc. I'm sure they both play off of similar sci-fi tropes in some areas of gameplay, too.

One can easily compare all the usual gameplay elements for two games that fall into very similar genres. People will do it for Master of Orion, they'll do it for GalCiv, they'll do it for Endless Space, and they'll most certainly do it for M.O.R.E. if and when it becomes possible to make such a comparison.

I don't think it's useful to just cast M.O.R.E. away from this comparison. Indeed, it would be disservice to the creators not to. I believe they want it to be compared to the space 4X classics (or classic, depending on your opinion) and "break the mould". Whether or not I believe they'll achieve this is another matter.


why do you say stellaris isnt 4x?
it has all the elements, has it not? eXplore, eXpand, eXploit, and eXterminate. same for stellaris. but this also applies for a lot of board- and card games. and for that matter it makes more sense to compare MORE to games like MoO2, interstellar space: genesis or "!Stars".
if you want to compare it to some grand strategy game who is happens to be in space, you also can compare it to some RTS game who happens to be in the same szenario (like StarCraft). it just does not make sense, because you rather compare a red delicious with a golden delicious (these are 2 different kinds of apples) and not an apple with a baby dog :p

Eruditio
Hearty Supporter
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:13 pm

Re: Status of current M.O.R.E. development

Postby Eruditio » Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:01 pm

VoodooDog wrote:
why do you say stellaris isnt 4x?
it has all the elements, has it not? eXplore, eXpand, eXploit, and eXterminate. same for stellaris. but this also applies for a lot of board- and card games. and for that matter it makes more sense to compare MORE to games like MoO2, interstellar space: genesis or "!Stars".
if you want to compare it to some grand strategy game who is happens to be in space, you also can compare it to some RTS game who happens to be in the same szenario (like StarCraft). it just does not make sense, because you rather compare a red delicious with a golden delicious (these are 2 different kinds of apples) and not an apple with a baby dog :p


I said 4X-like.

I'm a little confused by what you're trying to say. It appears as if you say Stellaris is 4X (like M.O.R.E., and therefore inviting comparison) but then change your mind to say it's actually grand strategy, and therefore can't be compared.

There's a lot of overlap in these genres - 4X, grand strategy, RTS. Take, for example, Sins of a Solar Empire, which straddles 4X and RTS; so, indeed, M.O.R.E. can be compared to a game some might describe as RTS. I don't think it's as clear-cut as saying "that's an apple, and that's a dog", because genre boundaries are fuzzy.


Return to “M.O.R.E.”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest