Status of current M.O.R.E. development

All about our classic space strategy turn game.
VoodooDog

Re: Status of current M.O.R.E. development

Postby VoodooDog » Sat Aug 05, 2017 6:42 pm

An Apple is round. A Baby dog isnt. Easy to compare eh

Grotesque

Postby Grotesque » Sun Aug 06, 2017 8:06 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxSXnfbo-AA&t=316s

^Battlestar Galactica : Deadlock

What can MORE emulate and learn from this game's combat design?
It looks really neat, especially from an UI artistic direction

Eruditio
Hearty Supporter

Postby Eruditio » Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:30 am

VoodooDog wrote:An Apple is round. A Baby dog isnt. Easy to compare eh

Yes, easy. If you want to make a trite comparison, nobody will stop you. You're technically correct and perhaps this would even be a useful observation in the right context.

I think what you originally said was that M.O.R.E. won't and can't be compared to Stellaris. I'm interested as to why you think this is a sensible thing to say. They obviously hit similar target audiences, and within the bounds of "video games" they're relatively similar. They're both based in space, they're both at least 4X-like (not exactly 4X in the case of Stellaris, but it certainly has 4X elements and crosses the boundary between 4X and grand strategy), they both engage the player in managing a space civilisation etc. I'm sure they both play off of similar sci-fi tropes in some areas of gameplay, too.

One can easily compare all the usual gameplay elements for two games that fall into very similar genres. People will do it for Master of Orion, they'll do it for GalCiv, they'll do it for Endless Space, and they'll most certainly do it for M.O.R.E. if and when it becomes possible to make such a comparison.

I don't think it's useful to just cast M.O.R.E. away from this comparison. Indeed, it would be disservice to the creators not to. I believe they want it to be compared to the space 4X classics (or classic, depending on your opinion) and "break the mould". Whether or not I believe they'll achieve this is another matter.

cosmos

Postby cosmos » Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:00 am

Grotesque wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxSXnfbo-AA&t=316s

^Battlestar Galactica : Deadlock

What can MORE emulate and learn from this game's combat design?
It looks really neat, especially from an UI artistic direction

Yeah, simultaneous turns are the great concept. I like it very much in Star Hammer: The Vanguard Prophecy.
However, I believe that I GO-You GO concept cannot be simply adapted to simultaneous turns.

VoodooDog

Postby VoodooDog » Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:00 am

Eruditio wrote:
VoodooDog wrote:An Apple is round. A Baby dog isnt. Easy to compare eh

Yes, easy. If you want to make a trite comparison, nobody will stop you. You're technically correct and perhaps this would even be a useful observation in the right context.

I think what you originally said was that M.O.R.E. won't and can't be compared to Stellaris. I'm interested as to why you think this is a sensible thing to say. They obviously hit similar target audiences, and within the bounds of "video games" they're relatively similar. They're both based in space, they're both at least 4X-like (not exactly 4X in the case of Stellaris, but it certainly has 4X elements and crosses the boundary between 4X and grand strategy), they both engage the player in managing a space civilisation etc. I'm sure they both play off of similar sci-fi tropes in some areas of gameplay, too.

One can easily compare all the usual gameplay elements for two games that fall into very similar genres. People will do it for Master of Orion, they'll do it for GalCiv, they'll do it for Endless Space, and they'll most certainly do it for M.O.R.E. if and when it becomes possible to make such a comparison.

I don't think it's useful to just cast M.O.R.E. away from this comparison. Indeed, it would be disservice to the creators not to. I believe they want it to be compared to the space 4X classics (or classic, depending on your opinion) and "break the mould". Whether or not I believe they'll achieve this is another matter.

why do you say stellaris isnt 4x?
it has all the elements, has it not? eXplore, eXpand, eXploit, and eXterminate. same for stellaris. but this also applies for a lot of board- and card games. and for that matter it makes more sense to compare MORE to games like MoO2, interstellar space: genesis or "!Stars".
if you want to compare it to some grand strategy game who is happens to be in space, you also can compare it to some RTS game who happens to be in the same szenario (like StarCraft). it just does not make sense, because you rather compare a red delicious with a golden delicious (these are 2 different kinds of apples) and not an apple with a baby dog :p

Eruditio
Hearty Supporter

Postby Eruditio » Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:01 pm

VoodooDog wrote:
why do you say stellaris isnt 4x?
it has all the elements, has it not? eXplore, eXpand, eXploit, and eXterminate. same for stellaris. but this also applies for a lot of board- and card games. and for that matter it makes more sense to compare MORE to games like MoO2, interstellar space: genesis or "!Stars".
if you want to compare it to some grand strategy game who is happens to be in space, you also can compare it to some RTS game who happens to be in the same szenario (like StarCraft). it just does not make sense, because you rather compare a red delicious with a golden delicious (these are 2 different kinds of apples) and not an apple with a baby dog :p

I said 4X-like.

I'm a little confused by what you're trying to say. It appears as if you say Stellaris is 4X (like M.O.R.E., and therefore inviting comparison) but then change your mind to say it's actually grand strategy, and therefore can't be compared.

There's a lot of overlap in these genres - 4X, grand strategy, RTS. Take, for example, Sins of a Solar Empire, which straddles 4X and RTS; so, indeed, M.O.R.E. can be compared to a game some might describe as RTS. I don't think it's as clear-cut as saying "that's an apple, and that's a dog", because genre boundaries are fuzzy.

Grotesque

Postby Grotesque » Sun Aug 27, 2017 9:08 pm

Any updates?

Calavero
Site Admin

Postby Calavero » Mon Aug 28, 2017 2:39 pm

Grotesque wrote:Any updates?

I think we will post new info when our new www will be ready. 3 weeks?
M.O.R.E. under construction

Jeffbg
Ideas & Texts Creator

Postby Jeffbg » Tue Aug 29, 2017 2:12 am

Calavero wrote:
Grotesque wrote:Any updates?

I think we will post new info when our new www will be ready. 3 weeks?

I must admit for the first time I am a bit upset by that. You have a bigger team than before and it can't spend a few minutes to update the original fundraisers on your progress. It was understandable when it was a very small team, but not now. We don't expect a full blown kickstarter update every week, but some info on how things are going should be given. Waiting two weeks to be told well in another 3 maybe; is clearly unacceptable.

Calavero
Site Admin

Postby Calavero » Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:40 am

Ok Jeffbg. I'll try to speed up this process and give you some new info sooner.
M.O.R.E. under construction

Return to “M.O.R.E.”