Diplomatic Relations Breakdown

Maestro

Diplomatic Relations Breakdown

Postby Maestro » Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:16 am

I am all for advanced diplomatic options and a robust AI. However I always find it frustrating when I don't know why my proposals have failed or why the computer is angry at me enough to declare war. Civ 4 was right on with its breakdown of relations: it showed you what factors are positive and what are negative in your relations with another player.

-1 for religion, -1 for close borders, +2 for years of peace.

You get the picture. Please have the AI be transparent to the player so that when war comes, it shouldn't be a mystery. Usually two nations are aware of when tensions between them are growing.

VenomStorm
Ideas & Texts Creator

Re: Diplomatic Relations Breakdown

Postby VenomStorm » Sun Dec 09, 2012 7:36 pm

Yes, it would be nice to be able to see tensions growing and know that war was coming, however, sometimes surprise attacks are fun.

One thing I would like to see would be a way to end hostilities easier. Back in MoO, once the AI declared war on you, the only way to make them stop was to wipe them out. It was almost impossible to even talk to them and eventually developed a ceasefire. I think unless you are xenophobic, on a religious crusade, or a on a galactic reshaping mission like the Borg, every war does not have to end in the complete annihilation of your opponent. A Galactic Council could play some part here and act as an arbiter to help bring about a ceasefire. They could also institute sanctions against one side or both if the war is hurting galactic trade and peace. Lots of wars end with little to no territorial gain. Maybe the sides could end up deciding on a neutral zone or that one side will keep one planet.

This will also make it harder to create a galactic empire because the other races will try and keep you from completely wiping out opponents from relatively early in the game.

knightdt
Ideas & Texts Creator

Postby knightdt » Sun Dec 09, 2012 9:37 pm

I would also like to encourage a lack of generic assumptions about certain events that lead to negative relations without any actual negative interaction: For example, some games will have AI that sees your ships near their system and they get angrier and angrier about it each turn until they declare war, and you're saying WTF!?!? because the actual reason your ships were there is because they were helping to defend! You never aggressed, cut them off, and they never gave any indication that something was wrong until there was a declaration of war.

Janejirada

Postby Janejirada » Mon May 22, 2017 12:01 pm

I have read the content and like it a lot. It's been a while since I read it.

Return to “Diplomacy, Leaders & Espionage”